Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Sky Alton

Studious Soundtracks

Some people like to work in absolute silence but for others, having something stimulating or soothing on in the background can really help. Traditionally that’s been music but lately, there’s been a huge upsurge in people using ‘ambient sound’. Whether that’s the sound of rain, birdsong, a crackling fire or something quite different, you’ll probably be able to find a video on the internet that fulfils your soundscape needs.

My go-to study soundtracks at the moment are from a channel called ASMR Rooms who make intricate soundscapes based on the Harry Potter Universe (oddly enough, the Prefects Bathroom is a particular favourite). If you like music, then Ambient Worlds does the same sort of thing by layering music from the films over suitable sound effects. Piano covers of famous songs or movie soundtracks are also a hit with me and I also have my huge library of jazz and musicals CDs to hand should the mood strike.

So, do you like silence or find that studying ‘to’ something helps? Are you a music person or do you prefer something more organic like a soundscape or white noise? Let us know! Although remember: please don’t link directly to sites outside of HOL and make sure anything you suggest by name is suitable for all ages.

• Like 1

Oh I definitely use the ambiences for everything lately, they help me focus somehow. I get bored very easily so it's nice to have some music that's not distracting, also I roleplay to do some essays so it's a good way of tricking myself haha. I love the Gryffindor Common Room from Ambient Worlds for that! Sometimes I use the Star Trek ambiences ender4life makes too. Although I have to say, if it's a particularly gruesome piece of work I use the Studio Ghibli piano collection. I've written so many last minute essays to that one, sooo many all-nighters *sigh*.

• Like 1

When I'm studying, I always listen to music. It really depends on the day for me, whether I listen to an ambience mixer of sorts or regular music (Taylor Swift, etc....). Sometimes I'm having a difficult time focusing with all the noises and activity going on around me, so I use ASMR Rooms a ton. (the prefect's bathroom and the library ones are on my top favorite list right now) They're just calming to listen to and it gives some background noises that aren't distracting. There's an ambience mixer my sister showed me that I'll use from time to time as well. 

• Like 1

I need silence If I am studying. I tend to be more productive and focussed when all is quiet. If I have music on in the background I find it harder to concentrate and I get distracted but that only happens when I'm studying or reading. Listening to music when I am drawing doesn't distract me so I listen to all sorts from pop music to film/TV themes to Jazz to radio comedies. As to Ambience music, Harry potter and coffee shop are my ' go to' when I'm working on my creative writing. 

• Like 1

It honestly depends for me. I like having things be quiet sometimes but then again I like having noise. I think that comes from my ADHD but idk. I tend to get distracted when its quite, and yes I said quite. I do better with stimulants and people, but again I'm very social so that also might contribute to a part of it. Music is nice when I'm working or doing some sort of activity that requires me to concentrate. So honestly I like there to be a little bit of interaction in the room. 

I like talk shows in the background of whatever I'm doing. I usually put one on, or a playlist and just go about my day, chores or studying. And it works!

• Like 2

I sometimes play soft music in the background, but most of time I like to keep it quiet. I focus better when there is nothing around to distract me, but music in the background probably won’t do much damage. 

Sign in to follow this