Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Sky Alton

What's Your Favourite Spell

Exactly what it says on the tin. It could be a favourite because of what it does, its importance in the story or even just because you like the sound of the word.

Mine is sort of nebulous because we never hear how it's done but I love all the pretty charms that people like Flitwick and Hermione use to decorate for special occasions. One of the scenes that sticks with me is the final Christmas tree in PoS being decked with golden bubbles. I'd love to be able to just twiddle my wand and create beautiful things out of mid-air.

My favorite spells are the protective spells you'd put around an encampment like Hermione Granger did in Deathly Hallows when they were all camping to protect themselves from Snatchers and Death Eaters while they slept. They stand for safety in my opinion because they protect the caster from whatever's on the other side. Protego totalum and Salvio Hexia are two of these protective spells. 

Mine is the ’patronus charm’. Since I saw Harry producing his stag patronus I’ve been dying to tryout the spell. I did got many animals in Potter-more but I really do want to produce my own patronus in real life (yeah,I know that’s impossible*sigh*) . 

A patronus is produced with your strongest happiest memory and I just want to find out which memory will be mine good enough to produce a patronus and this charm is extremely protective when you come to face a dementor the most and you can use it as a charming messenger too. 

My favorite spells have to be Reducto and Reparo, just cuz I am clumsy sometimes so I drop things and break them - there goes Reparo. And the excitement of blowing things up to their minimum expression sounds like an amazing spell - although quite dangerous, I know - there goes Reducto. giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Mine is the Patronus Charm because I think it’s so cool that you can produce a little almost spirit animal out of your wand that can protect you from harm. 
I also really like Expelliarmus because it doesn’t do any harm but it is a great spell. It’s a way to take your opponent’s wand away without causing them physical harm. 

My favorite would have to be “Piertotum Locomotor” which is the spell Professor McGonagall uses right before the Battle of Hogwarts in which she makes statues and suits of armor become animate. I’m not exactly sure to what degree this spell makes objects animate (like, if they can talk or think in addition to moving or it’s just that they’re under the spell-castor’s command) but it’s still an awesome spell that I’d definitely like to see used more often!

That's a really interesting point, Isa. I've always wondered how 'concious'/'alive' enchanted objects or magical simulacra (like Hermione's charmed canaries) are. I mean, you get portraits with a certain amount of personality and the Hogwarts gargoyles seemed to be sencient (it was really weird to me that the one outside Dumbledore's office only spoke once and then only in the 7th book - you'd have thought he'd have spoken up before being bashed to bits). Questions of magical theory aside, that's an awesome spell and Iparticularly love how it was depicted in the film.

I imagine it depends partly on how long the objects been feeding off of magic. Although, in case of portraits, it seems to me that the painter captures some sort of essence of the person, the way they perceive it of course, which is why they are never the person they used to be. Clearly they are better than the animate pictures on the newspapers if you put them on a sentience scale of sorts, but, not by a large margin. At least how I understand them. Piertotum Locomotor is a very cool spell indeed!

Having said that, my favourite has to be Reparo like many people with glasses, and I really hate breaking things (not a good combination with my inherent clumsiness, ugh). I wouldn't mind repairing my headphones either, I think we need to find a spell that works as a bluetooth headphone.

That’s true, Sky. I’d never even given the gargoyle in front of Dumbledore’s office a second thought! I like Raevia’s theory on how long the objects have been feeding off magic which seems to make sense for transfigured items but I wonder how that would work for conjured animals (like the snake during the dueling club or the flock of birds Hermione sent at Ron).

I was looking through the wiki pages and Pottermore for any clues to how animate an object would get and, according to one reddit user, Piertotum Locomotor was also used to animate the chess board guarding the Philosopher’s stone and the chess pieces didn’t seem to be able to think or act for themselves but do respond to stimuli in a rather programmed manner. 

Also, I relate to you, Raevia. I tend to always break things, especially mechanical technology for some reason. I’ve already broken my phone and damaged my computer several times and it would be so helpful to just “reparo” everything back. 

• Haha 1

I'm not sure what my favorite existing spell is. If I could create a spell, I would create one that allows captions to float in front of people while they speak. This would make it easier for me to understand hearing people when I do not have an interpreter around.  Along with captions  for spoken word, it would provide captions of my signs so that the hearing people could understand me, too. 

My favourite spell is accio because I am prone to losing things! Accio fitbit!!!!