Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Sky Alton

Herbs and Fungi Task 1

Do you have a favourite herb?

With so many to choose from just in this book alone, there must be one that you find yourself particularly drawn to. Mint for a refreshing kick? Rosemary for remembrance? Lavender for relaxation?

Whatever it is and however you use it, tell us about it and why you’re a fan in 80 words or more!

Post your response below by 23:59 HOL-time on 31st July to earn 10 rubies.

I love cooking and herbs have always played a big part in that.  My ‘specialty’, if you will, is sauces (or so my husband and daughter tell me, anyway).  At any rate, one of the herbs I go to again and again is oregano.  Oregano is used a lot in Italian and Greek cooking, both of which I do my fair share of on a pretty regular basis.  Jt adds a pungent and spicy back note when used in cooking,and I love the subtle spice it brings to any dish.  Oregano is rather like myself, actually. We both can be easily overlooked and hover in the background, but byMerlin you are going to know we are there!

I think mint's one of my favourite herbs. I always drink it as a tea and syrup. It settles my colds, nerves, it's refreshing and it does wonders for my digestion.

It's also incredibly useful for mouth cleanliness and it has a very refreshing taste. So if you can't get to your toothpaste, chewing on the leaves is quite good in a pinch!

I've also got quite a sensitive nose and the smell of mint, for me at least, can overpower a lot of bad smells so I also use it to battle unpleasant odors.

• Like 1

Ginger is definitely at the top of my list of favourite herbs and spices.  I have used it for such a long time that whenever I reach for it, it feels like going to a comforting old friend; in crystallised form it has soothed a lot of sore throats, general nausea, travel sickness, colds and it even helped to cheer me up a bit when I had some gingerbread men during the time I was ill with Chicken Pox all through the Christmas holiday. 

I don't use a lot of herbs in my day to day life, so my favourite isn't one that I use regularly, but rather, one that I have memories attached to, and that is rosemary. In the first house I lived in, we had a rosemary bush in our garden, and so we would almost always be able to smell rosemary in the house, normally because someone had kicked a football into the bush and had to climb into it to get it back out, and so it reminds me of a lot of happy memories from my childhood.

I really love to cook and one of my go-to ingredients is garlic. It is such a beautiful ingredient to use in your dishes. It always manages to add a flavourful touch to any dish it is put into. Also, the way it is processed plays a very important role in how it will behave within the dish. For example, adding garlic paste is quite different from adding chopped garlic that has been tossed in butter for a bit. In my opinion, no amount of garlic is too much garlic, simply because of how much it can improve a dish to which it has been added.

Sign in to follow this