Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Sky Alton

Task 1: Wonderful Weather Windows

To help the employees at the Ministry of Magic forget that they’re working deep under ground, they use some clever enchantments. With the use of atmospheric charms and magical windows, they’re able to give people a taste of the outdoors even while they’re working at their desks.

That got me wondering: if you could pick the weather you could see out of your window, what would you pick? Would you go for perpetual sunshine? Maybe you like cosying up while rain hammers on the roof? Or maybe you’d go for realism and go with the Great Hall approach so you could see exactly what’s going on outside?

Tell us about the weather you’d most like to magic up for yourself in 100 words or more. Alternatively, you can create a graphic of it. If you take the graphics option, please keep your image to 600x600 pixels and upload it to an image hosting website, then share the link.

Post your response below by 23:59 HOL-time on the 30th of April to earn 10 rubies!

If I could pick the weather I could see out of my window, I would conjure a very specific weather type, something that’s very rare in the city. It will be a windy afternoon, at around 1 – 2 pm, there will be dense white clouds in the sky, the sun will be up, but it won’t be too hot. Instead, it will be just perfectly warm and cozy, with the wind in my hair, and I will be able to hear the susurration of the sea right there in front of me, and smell the salt in the water. The temperature will be at a comfortable 21 – 23 °C, and there will be birds flying in the sky. This is the weather that will help me feel the most comfortable, be more productive without feeling too exhausted, and overall, be calmer, happier and more relaxed throughout the day.

Untitled-design-1.png

Very dark and moody weather just before rain. You should be able to feel and smell the rain in the air but not have it rain yet.

I think I would prefer the Hogwarts Great Hall approach, and have the office weather mirror what is really happening outside at the time. I do love sunshine, but I constantly find the reflections of the sun in windows very annoying, and often end up closing the curtains anyway. I also like rain, but I'm not sure I'd want to be surrounded by the noise of it constantly, or it would lose its beauty and just become extremely annoying! I also think not being 100% sure what the weather is going to be is part of the fun, and being able to set it to whatever you like is great, but I'd personally prefer to have it be up to fate.

Posted (edited)

I would say that since I love to see real things without distortion, I would prefer to see the weather as it is outside. I do not like being shut out from reality. Therefore, the Great Hall approach would be the best for me. However, while the Great Hall approach is still my first preference, if I could choose to change or alternate daily whether I want the Great Hall approach or a weather of my own choice, my second favorite option would be bright and warm sunshine, but not too hot, alternating frequently with the Great Hall approach. Bright and warm sunshine reminds me of happiness and beautiful childhood memories, for some reason unknown to myself. It could be because I was born in May and therefore my birthday falls on a day of sunny weather. It could be because I lived in the mountains when I was young, and the perpetual chills there and the constant dampness and fog, which caused problems such as clothes on the washing line refusing to dry and frequent attacks of cough and cold, made me develop an aversion to dampness and become a lover of bright, warm sunshine which I kept craving. It could also be because of the happy memory of summer vacations. It could also be because of the subconscious associations that I have formed in my head between dark clouds and doom and between bright sunshine and conflict resolution, due to being influenced by the literary works that I read. Whatever the reason may be, I would love to see a dollop of bright, warm sunshine interspersed at frequent intervals in between the canvas of reality, just to add happiness to my day-to-day life at the Ministry of Magic.

Edited by Hiya Debnath

The weather I would choose to see would be the same enchantments the Great Hall has.  I really think it would be amazing to see what the weather really is like.That could also make me decide if I wanted to spend time outside or not once I was done of work  and of course that would also mean I would see what I would be missing while hard at work in the Ministry.  If it was a nice sunny day, not too sunny and hot, but just nice then I wouldn't want to be inside.  In that case, my next choice would be snowing.  Seeing it snowing, especially if it looks cold, it would make me glad to be underground and not outside.  

Sign in to follow this