Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Janne Halla

Muggles Who Notice - Task 3

Such clever people, Muggles are, aren’t they? Especially for beings with no magic. To help with their daily life, they’ve come up with incredible inventions, from machinery, medicine, transportation and so much more. 

Write about one of the Muggle inventions in at least 80 words. Maybe it’s something useful that significantly improved their way of life? Perhaps something that could almost be considered magic? Maybe it’s just fun to see? All HOL rules must apply.

Post the inventions below by 23:59 HOL-time on 30th November to earn 10 rubies.

Muggles are quite clever. The thing I find most fascinating are a thing called an alarm system. Imagine not having a kneazle to pick up on some suspicious people or a house elf to hide your home or fight off intruders. The alarm is this little device added to windows and doors that go off and make a terribly annoying noise for the whole neighborhood to hear when someone forces open a door or window. Some of them are added to more secure areas such as banks that even close the doors off with gates! You would think it is done with magic! There are even some that alert the authorities (don't ask me how). They sometimes scare me with their little inventions. 

One of the best muggle inventions is, in my opinion, the light bulb. Us magical people are able to conjure light with many different charms and spells, but for muggles, there were very few ways of producing light prior to the invention of the lightbulb in 1880. Most muggles had to use candles or lanterns (which we do use in the wizarding world, but with fire-protection and -extinguishing spells on hand), which was often unsafe, due to the fact that their houses were originally often made out of flammable materials. When the electric lightbulb was invented, this changed, and it meant muggles were able to produce light (a very highly necessary substance) far more safely and easily.

The Muggle invention of the microwave fascinates me beyond anything. This seemingly useless box of metal has the extraordinary ability to transform cold food (why would you have cold food?) into piping hot meals within minutes. The wizardry lies in its capacity to generate electromagnetic waves that excite water molecules in food, producing heat and cooking the dish from the inside out (we have spells for that and those are quicker). This method of food preparation, has revolutionised the way Muggles cook.

The Muggle invention of the Internet has to be one of the most "Magical" inventions ever. It allows them to instantly communicate with someone halfway across the world, or just access tons of information within minutes. We use owls to send a message to someone that far, and they do a wonderful job at that, however, the Muggles can send a message and get a reply within seconds and hold a complete conversation that way which is incredibly useful and quite like magic. The internet also allows them to quickly find information, which might take us some time to find from books, even if we know exactly where to look.

The camera is such a wonderful invention that muggles have provided for us! Whether it's for taking pictures of your loved ones, or creating videos of precious memories, the camera has captured so many moments that we are able to re-live over and over again. Muggles love to enjoy their photographs, while us wizards are lucky enough to have our photographs come to life. Another wonderful muggle invention accompanying the camera would be motion pictures! I am sure muggles and wizard kind alike all love to enjoy the movies that muggles film and produce for us!