Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Sky Alton

Quidditch Through the Ages Task 1

As you flip through, you’ll find that one of the most striking parts of Quidditch Through the ages is the full colour, moving illustrations. One thing that makes these pictures stand out the way they do is the bright kits that each team wears, designed to show off their team pride and to give spectators a fighting chance of telling the opposing sides apart as they whiz through the air.

But some teams take it a little further and even decorate their brooms to reflect their team colours, mascots and the in-jokes that have developed over the years.

Show us how a member of your favourite quidditch team might customise their broom to demonstrate their team pride. You can either create a graphic (upload it to an image sharing website and share the link) or describe it in at least 80 words.

You’ll earn 10 rubies by posting your broom designs below by  23:59 HOL-time on the 30th of September!

When I became a member of the Gryffindor Quidditch team myself, after almost 2 years of training from my father Harry Potter, I put my heart and soul into customizing my broom to shout out my Gryffindor pride, because getting on the team was one of my biggest goals. So today I will be talking about how I decorated my broom.

I have wrapped the handle in a deep, lush crimson leather, and right there, front and centre, there's a golden lion pommel representing Gryffindor.

The shaft of my broom is covered with these fiery red and gold feathers, and I hand-painted each one to resemble flames of fire. 

The bristles are also enchanted to look like fire erupting from the end of the shaft, but rest-assured, there is no real fire involved, and if you touch these "flames", all you will feel is the texture of the bristles. The bristles are also dyed a deep crimson, matching our house colours and providing a darker base to enhance the look of the enchantment. 

On the handle, there's a subtle inscription in golden script that reads, "Forti Animo Estote" the Gryffindor motto which translates to "Be of good courage." It's there to remind me of the values of my house every time I take to the skies. 

This is not just a broom, but a representation of my thoughts and beliefs about my team and Quidditch as a whole.