Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Sky Alton

Unfogging the Future - Task 3

Finding meaning in tea leaves is a delicate art. Many divination practitioners believe that

Every aspect of making and drinking the tea is important. They all have their own particular ritual for brewing a revelatory cupper.

Share a little of your own tea-making ritual:

1.      You can describe the type of tea, how you’d brew it and the type of cup you’d use in at least 80 words.

2.      You can create a collage showing the elements of your tea-making ritual (cup, type of tea, etc). If you do that, please upload your graphic to an image hosting website (like Imgur) and share the link - it should be no more than 600 X 600 pixels.

Post your responses below by 23:59 HOL-time on the 31st of August to earn 10 rubies!

My Tea Making Ritual [Click Here For The Complete Gallery]

ya2CXvd.png

Brewing Instructions [For 2 Teacups]:

• Take 1 teacup of water and bring it to a boil.
  • Once the water starts boiling, add 1½ teaspoon of the Roasted Darjeeling Tea Leaves and let it boil for 1 minute.
  • Then add ½ teaspoon of the Masala Tea Leaves and let it boil for 30 – 40 seconds.
  • Add 1½ teacup of milk along with the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves (to taste, but don't put too much, or it will overpower the tea) and let it boil for 1 – 1½ minutes or until the colour becomes a beautiful light brown and the aroma should also indicate that the tea is almost done.
  • Get the tea off the heat and strain it into the teapot.
  • Add the sugar according to your taste and my favourite Masala Tea [Masala Chai] is ready. Enjoy!

You can make this recipe without the Masala Tea leaves as well, just use a bit more of the Roasted Darjeeling Tea leaves.

Also, you can always boil the tea for longer and add more or less of the tea leaves to adjust the strength of the tea. I personally prefer a 70:30 ratio for the Roasted Darjeeling Tea leaves to the Masala Tea leaves since we are adding our own spices, so that the Masala Tea doesn't dominate them. You can of course adjust this ratio to your liking as well!

I don't drink tea very often, and when I do I typically have it iced, but here's how I would go about it:

1. Boil the water, ideally in a kettle. Please do not use a microwave...

2. Put a teabag or leaves into your chosen cup - I go for a mug with a funny slogan on for hot tea, or a glass for iced tea.

3. Pour the water on top of the tea bag. Leave it there - if you want it stronger, leave it for quite a long period of time, if you want it weaker, maybe stir it around once and then remove the teabag/leaves.

4. Add any extras you want, milk, sugar, etc.

5. Enjoy!

xAAWjnr.jpg

I love tea; my daughter and I usually enjoy a cup (or two) every day.  Pictured are some of my own teatime things, including just a very small smattering of tea varieties.  The brewing process itself is fairly simple:

1.  Boil water in the kettle 

2.  Pour boiling water in cups and steep tea for approximately 5-6 minutes using either bag or tea diffuser depending on the type

3.  Pour into cup, sweeten appropriately (I most often use honey) and enjoy!

Note-If we're feeling extra fancy, we pour the steeped tea into a proper tea pot (bottom left) to serve.  

I just received something in my Muggle electronic mail that would be perfect for this!

One of my favourite ways to enjoy tea involves adding things that make it icy, sweet, and creamy for a delicious liquid snack.  This can be done several different ways, but the best known is probably the "Thai iced tea" - which can be recognised by its orange hue.

The hardest part of the recipe is acquiring the tea leaves itself:  this usually comes in bags known as "Thai tea mix" (making no secret of where the leaves will end up) imported from Thailand.  The next hardest part of the recipe is waiting:  for a glass of the tea you'll want to steep 1/3 of a cup of the tea leaves into two cups of boiling water for two hours to get that distinctive flavour right!  Towards the end of that time, you can prepare a tall glass with ice and two tablespoons each of sweetened condensed milk and light cream (the cream can be 'half and half' or evaporated milk).  

Once the two hours are up, you simply strain the tea into a measuring cup and then pour the liquid into the prepared glass!  

As a bonus, the leftover tea (the part that did not make through straining) can be re-steeped with more boiling water for a lighter cup of tea the next day... but if you want to get a Divination reading out of the tea leaves, you probably want to do that before re-steeping!

Edited by Prof. Will Lestrange

My own ritual for making tea is really very basic and fairly quick really. Saying that, I suppose the longest part of this ritual is down to me trying to decide which tea to use, as I always find it hard to choose between Yorkshire tea, Earl Grey or Lady Jane. I have one box of each  all on the go at the same time and so every teatime is a big decision but it also means that my tea drinking days are quite random.  Once I have finally made up my mind as to which brew I will have, I fill up the electric energy saving kettle to the recommended amount of cups; so if I am making two cups I fill the water to the two cup mark instead of filling up the whole kettle  which  means the water does not take so long to boil :) I know many witches use a tea pot as part of their tea making process but I just put the tea bag straight into my favourite Harry Potter mug along with some sugar. Once the water is boiled , I pour it over the tea bag and leave it to brew for just a few minutes. As soon as I discard the tea bag a small amount of milk goes into the cup-just enough so the tea looks a lovely tanned colour. As we are not allowed to use magic outside of school, I stir the tea muggle style, giving the tea 3 stirs in a circular motion and in a clockwise direction and then 3 stirs in a circular motion in a anticlockwise direction. I don't know why I do it like that, all I know is that it feels right. I always enjoy hot, sweet tea but enjoy it all the more when I have a treat with it such as scones covered in lashings of butter, jam and clotted cream.