Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Sky Alton

Hogwarts Subjects

We're very fortunate here at HOL that the way our classes are set up, we could take as many as 70 different subjects in our time as a student (which is really kind of staggering if you think about it). We can also sit all 12 of our OWLs (without having to resort to Time Turners or powdered dragon claw)

But if we'd faced the choice Harry, Ron and Hermione did in the books, what subjects would you have chosen to start in third year and why? Do you think you'd have carried them on all the way to NEWT level? Are there any that you think Hogwarts ought to have offered as well?

Out of all the electives one could take at Hogwarts, I would go for Arithmancy and Muggle Studies. Arithmancy always appealed to me because it works a lot with numbers, which I love working with :D I would want to take Muggle Studies because it seems like it would be... easy - what a good reason to take it :P Muggle studies and Arithmancy both seem like fun classes that would give me a break from my usual studies. I would take them both up to NEWT level because they could prove to be helpful when I go into a career, since I would know a lot of mathematics and I would be familiar with the muggle's world. When you think about it, Hogwarts doesn't teach too much about mathematics, which is an important skill to have that proves useful every day. 

While Hogwarts does teach Ancient Runes, there really should be classes on normal languages. We see foreign language classes taught in Muggle schools, but not in Wizarding schools. Students end up not learning other languages that they can use in day to day life.

On my third year, I'd probably choose Arithmancy. Arithmancy is closely related to number and is found to be more reliable than Divination. I am not too sure about what my second elective would be. Muggle Studies seems like an easy way out. Ancient Runes don't sound appealing to me and I'm not that great of an animal caretaker, either. Divination sounds like the most logical option, even though I have my reservations about the discipline in itself. Maybe the course would change my opinion.

I think Hogwarts is missing some key subjects such as Languages, Literature, Mathematics and other core subjects that even wizards would benefit from. On top of that, there should be some vocational subjects where one can learn about the wizarding economy, healing, etc.

Sign in to follow this