Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Zenix James

2011 Term Paw Print Applications

For those Gryffindors who love to write and want to earn points by writing for The Gryffindor Paw Print, consider applying for a staff writer position for the school year 2011-2012! The Paw Print seeks talented writers for staff writer positions:

Really though. YOU CAN EARN POINTS!. :D

Paw Print Staff Requirements:

- Produce at least two 500 word-minimum stories, articles or columns per month. Basically one page single spaced in a word processing program. -

- Be able to use creativity to pitch new article and column ideas.

- Be able to contribute and dedicate the needed time to the Paw Print and check in with editors.

- Be able to stick with a deadline and get your work done in a timely manner. Having the time and dedication is so important as this paper is a big part of the Gryffindor House and very important to those involved.

To gain an idea of how the Paw Print functions, you can check out our actual paper: http://gryff.net/pawprint/

There are currently three areas in which we are seeking new staff members. Those areas are: Columnist, Writer, Layout Design and/or Web Editor

1. Columnists

A.) Talons and Tea Leaves: Comedic Horoscope

Overview: This column is Gryffindor's comedic take on horoscopes. You will not need to find or accurately predict someone's horoscope. You will only need to be clever and creative enough to come up with your personal and original horoscopes.

For an idea on how this column works, you can check out this link: http://gryff.net/pawprint/issue42/

Please note that you don't have to do this column precisely as it has been done in the past. If you have an idea that you think would make it better, please feel free to incorporate it.

Requirements: Write a new column each month for each astrological sign.

Application Process: To apply for this position, you will need to write up your version of the Tea Leaves column. Please write it for the month you are applying in. ^_^ While the minimum word count for articles is 500, this area might be slightly different, so there is no minimum. Make sure you cover each sign, though. :)

B.)Personal Column

Overview: The Paw Print is also looking for those who wish to start their own personal column in a newspaper. It could be a culinary column, a column on magical beasts, a column on the happenings of the Headmaster's Pants. Your call. We'd love to see your creative side!

Requirements: Be able to write for your column once a month on time. The column must be 500 words minimum.

Application Process: To apply for a columnist position, send in the first submission of the column you would like to write. If the idea and the column is approved, your submission will be in the next month's edition of the Paw Print.

2. Writers.

Overview: Writers have the chance to write up 1 or more articles per issue. The articles can be on pretty much anything within the HOL Guidelines. HOL Events, new contests, contest results, reviews, etc. Our main sections we need writing for are the Gossip section and the Sports section. But we're flexible, too. We're really trying to go for a fun magazine atmosphere, so we highly encourage thinking a bit outside of the box. For example, tell us about the amazing Quidditch practice you witnessed, or interview a student who was pranked by first year students, or how Humphrey B. is STILL trying to woo over Ilona (after all these years, the scandal!). If you are looking for ideas, or want to run something by me first, feel free to PM me. If you'd like I can provide you with a list of unclaimed article ideas the staff currently posted for the current issue. :)

Requirements: Be able to write at least 1 500-word-minimum article per issue. Check in regularly to the Paw Print forum in the Gryffindor Paw Print. Submit your work by the deadline.

Application Process: To apply to be a Paw Print article, write and submit 1 or 2 article(s); 500 word minimum (or about 1 page single spaced in Word). If you are accepted as a Paw Print writer, the articles will be published in the next issue of the Paw Print.

_________

3. Layout Designers

Overview: You will need to produce and create 1-2 original layouts per month. You will not have to think up layout ideas on your own, if you don't want to. However, if you are able to, be my guest! [Clarification: We are looking for layout DESIGNS. That means the images and colors you see every month. The layout for the page is fixed so you do not need to worry about that. :)]

Requirements: You must possess adequate knowledge on creating layouts and some HTML. Not all of these are going to be required, per say, but they could be needed.

Application Process: Design a new layout for the Paw Print's September issue. If it is not clear how the images work in the old layout, ask me. I can clarify it a bit for you.

Turning in your Application:

NOTE: ALL APPLICATIONS ARE TO BE SENT TO PROF. ZENIX JAMES. There is no official due date, but we highly encourage you get it in as soon as possible so you can start earning those fabulous points and be the ultimate HOL student. :D

All applications and work are to be PM'd to me through the Gryffindor Common Room. If, for some reason you cannot do this, send me a message through the main HOL site using my HOL-ID pr_zen

In the subject line, please put: Your Name and the position you are applying for.

- Example: Student: Hermione Granger Position: Elf-Rights Activist Column.

In the body of the message, please include the following information:

Name:

Year:

Experience: (Any experience you have writing or creating layouts and web designs (Depending on the position you are applying for).

Your application submission(s):

______

As a quick disclaimer, we all understand that life can throw unexpected events at us. If for some reason you're skeptical about the amount of time you can dedicate to the Paw Print, we can always talk it over and negotiate through particular instances. Please don't let that discourage you from applying, we're a very understanding group of people to work with.

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask away.

I am so excited to see what kind of writing talent the students of Gryffindor have this year, and am looking forward to working with you all!

Zenix

(Thank you to Prof. Jenny Lupin for parts of this post.<3)

Sign in to follow this