Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Hailey Potter

Can you play an instrument?

Now I know this is a popular topic that can also be found on the HOL forum, but I know I've been PMed by students wanting to befriend me after reading I play the same instrument as they do. So.... I thought this would be a great topic for Gryffs to find out who they share talents with so they can have musical bonding experiences within our house. We could also see if we have enough musicians to form a band? That's mostly a joke, but anyways....

Do you have a musical talent? Can you sing? Can you play an instrument? Do you write music? Or do you have absolutely no musical talent at all but secretly wish you could learn how to play the saxophone? Tell us about it here!

My best instrument is the flute. Slash piccolo. I can also play piano melodically, and harmonically very slowly. I am trying to learn the guitar but I'm starting to think it's just not for me. My fingers just don't want to keep the strings down, even with power chords... sad.gif I am also a songwriter. I've been writing lyrics almost as long as I've been here at HOL, and I'm starting to write music to them as well.

Hey Hailey!

I know how to play the guitar and a natural at it. I can teach you :) I have 2 accoustic guitars and 1 electric guitar B) Power Chords is my strong point and I go to Youtube for songs everyday. I am also good at singing :)

Guest Ann Ong

I've played the piano for about 10 years but I've stopped learning currently as I need to concentrate on my big exam. I joined the school band last year and play the alto sax. Already had some performances and even joined the concert of my school band on July. :) I love singing pretty much, but dare not to sing to the others. I'm a shy girl~ :P

Guest Sally Odenweller

I absolutely have no talent in playing any instrument and I wish I totally could. But, I can sing! It's the only instrument that I could play though. :D

I tried the flute but I always end up sitting in a couch. And I've always always wanted to learn how to play the guitar! and the electric one. And now, that I see no future in me learning that instrument,I can't help imagining myself as a guitarist in a rock music that I'm listening and banging my head off ...anyway ..

so. well, that's all! :P I reckon I haven't really contributed in this topic as of what instrument I could play, but, I hope that'll do!! :P

CCCHHEEEERRRSS!! :>

I used to play the Clarinet in grade 7-11 then I stopped and continued on with Choir instead. I was in the band for a few years. I haven't played in years though I dont even know if I still can.

e5d9dd9f-f6fc-4239-b677-c08c091cd43c_zps

Guest Madeline Bronte

I like music a lot \o/. I play the piano and I'm taking my Grade 7 exam soon *scared face* I play guitar (both Acoustic and Electric) and I'm on my Grade 6 on Electric but I just play Acoutstic casualy. I've also started playing the flute and I really love to sing. I'm in my school choir and sometimes do shows and stuff by myself. For some reason I REALLY want to learn how to play the drums :D

Awww, I'm so super glad that we have such musically gifted Gryffindors! Gryffindor band? I think so. We'd rock HOL's socks off.

Madeline, you are going to do AMAZING on your 7th grade exam! I feel it. The fates whatever those are are whispering, "Madeline is going to ACE this exam cause she is awesome." We got your back.

I "play" a couple of instruments. Technically, I've never had lessons in any of these, but I throw things together and people tell me it sounds okay, so I guess it's something like playing. ;)

I play an upright, thousand-pound piano that I inherited from my grandmother. She tried to teach me when I was younger, but I was a stubborn little child and refused because it was "too hard." I straight up regret that since she has passed on. So, I play and create music in her honor now. Apparently, I can play by ear, which has been increasingly handy as I practice and play more often.

I ATTEMPT to play guitar. I have a Gibson SG electric, a Yamaha 12 string, and a Honer 6 string acoustic. All currently reside with my father. xD We switch off every 4 years. I just don't have the patience for it like I do for the piano. With a guitar, you have to work with it and the frets and strings to make it sound good. To you all who play the guitar or are learning, keep at it. You are far better and more patient people than I. ^_^

I'm incapable of writing music and combining it with lyrics. I can write music and lyrics separately...but not together. Go me. I sing...a lot. I personally don't think I have any talent at it, but people tell me I do. So, hey. What's a person to do?

Really, keep at your music playing and instrument learning and singing! Music is amazing and I'm sure you are all immensely talented!

Guest Sarah Evans

I play guitar and piano. Except I broke a string in my guitar and now can't play LOL. I started them both five years ago but stopped piano halfway through. I just never can let go of my guitar. xD

I am horribly un-musically talented. So no, I can't play anything at all, lol. I did try to teach myself piano once, but that failed. o.O I can play things by ear if I sit down and want to try something easy, but I can't actually play.

OH WAIT. I CAN PLAY THE TRIANGLE. :D

>__>

If I could learn an instrument it'd probably be the drums. Just seems really cool to me.

Guest Ann Black

I can play the piano on a beginners level. I can also sing decently though I don't generally like to hear myself.

Guest JaLeyah Rainey

I can play Clarinet, sax, a little trumpet, beginners piano, and i sing! <---In <3 with MUSIC! sooo want to learn guitar!

Guest Laurie Lovegood

I am completely musically illiterate. I once owned a guitar, does that count? xD

I've been told I can sing, but only by my friends, so I'm inclined to believe they're lying. (:

Guest Sydney Alexandra

I mostly play base clarinet, but can easily switch back and forth between just a clarinet too. I know a few notes on the trumpet, can play "Frere Jaques" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on the piano. I sing...in the shower...but thats about it :P

Guest Kyra Bartnet

I play the flute, and the piccolo. I absolutely love them, and I am so glad that I found them. I can also play the piano, but I'm not that good. I took lessons for years but stopped practicing so it fell apart. I do sing, I was in choir for 5 years just not the best. I love to write songs for the flute and to sing, but I usually find out later the tune is something I heard earlier and had stuff in my head, lol. I can play the drums, guitar, sax, and a little trumpet. But flute is and will always be my favorite!

Guest Arabella Willow

I can play clarinet, and have been learning for seven years now and am probably going to do my grade 5 exam for it this year. I also play piano and have been learning for six years, and am definitely doing my grade 6 exam for it this year. I also sing and have been in the choir for the last 12 years (my whole school career, wow!). I'm in the concert band at school for clarinet (that's the top one at our school, we don't have many bands). I have also played flute for a year, but that was just at the Community Music Program our uni set up. Unfortunately I'm not doing it this year due to time constraints (I have so many instruments and not enough time for lessons, practicing, school and homework!) I also played alto sax for a term but I didn't enjoy it so I stopped, but I could probably pick up my brother's sax and play again if I wanted :P I also have to help Mum with clarinet when she practices and my two brothers when they play their instruments (both play piano, one plays alto sax and the other is starting percussion this year).

I have officially decided that our family plays way too much music :D

And the HOL Gryffindor Band? Totally would be great fun :P

Guest Carolina Schwartzaugen

I've been playing the piano since I was little and since junior high I decided to take organ lessons too. Then one summer I tried to learn playing the guitar from my dad's guitar books, but it didn't take long before I quit. Then in hogh school, i started taking drums lessons which were lots of fun! Now, I'm studying abroad and I really really wish that I had mastered guitar or violin or any other portable instrument so that I can still play music here :(

Guest Sydney Alexandra

I kinda want to leanr how to play the timps... :P

Guest Eia Donne

I haven't played it in a long while (since entering college), but I know how to play the cello. I was in my school orchestras from 5th-12th grade and even though I chose the cello for a VERY silly reason* I ended up enjoying it immensely.

*I had a brief stint learning to play the violin in 2nd grade that didn't last very long. When it came time to choose our middle school electives I decided to go with orchestra so I could learn to read music prior to joining band (wasn't offered until 7th grade). Even though I had some minor experience with the violin before, I chose the cello because I was lazy and didn't want to stand up during performances xD (not realizing that with the exception of bass players, the other stringed instruments only stand during solo performances)

Guest Ben Ackerman

I started playing the tuba in 6th grade. I was so tiny, I could curl up and fit inside the tuba case -_- In 7th grade, I switched to the clarinet and I love it. I can just pick up my clarinet, turn the radio on, and play by ear whatever is on with very few wrong notes! I played the clarinet from 7th through 12th grade and made the FL state band (I was one of three kids from my county that made it). I was in marching band, concert band, and jazz band. In addition, I picked up the flute, piano, and alto/tenor saxophones!! I did try playing the oboe for a brief period of time but it didn't work out, it was too difficult. After graduation, I stopped though :( I picked up my clarinet for the first time in two years the other day and I'm glad to say it's as if I never put it down! Okay, so I'm not as good as I used to be... but for not playing in two years, it was halfway decent :)

Guest Keelin Cavanagh

Ooooh man, I've been playing music for as long as I can remember! I took up piano when I was 7 or 8 (quit shortly after because I hated practicing, HOWEVER, enjoy diddling on my own =P), then started flute and alto saxophone in junior high when I was 13. In marching band, I was trying to fill in parts, so I was learning baritone and clarinet but only to a very basic level. In grade 11, I took up guitar, followed quickly after by ukulele. My uncle gave me a fiddle last summer and I've been doing my darndest to teach it to myself but God knows it is NOT an instantly gratifying instrument... =S

I would say my main instruments at this point in time are guitar and ukulele; I'd love to play piano but when I moved out, I didn't take my keyboard from my parents so I might need to change that ASAP. MAN I miss playing the ol' ivories.. hah! That's awesome Gryff is so musically inclined =D

I also played piano growing up but haaated practicing. But one of my friends left his keyboard to me when he moved out so hopefully I can start again!

I also played flute, clarinet, saxophone, and guitar while growing up - but now being older piano is the one that interest me the most!

Guest Rayne Sorelle

While in school I played flute and guitar for about 3 years, never got very good though - don't think I have the music gene in me :P

And when I was even younger like 11/12 my friends and I used to write and record songs using this old microphone, it was a blast and we weren't half bad. I think if I had time I'd want to see if I have a decent voice or learn violin - definitely been impressed by violins.

Guest Ava Evans

I dont know if it counts but I used to play the clarinet in ym highschool band?

Guest Grace Black

I play viola for my school orchestar, but I'm horrible at it. But I never practice so i guess thats my fault xD

Guest Carlos Rico

Well.. when I was younger I took piano lessons and I was good, but I don't really remember why, I suddenly lost interest and drop it... Then at school I learned how to play the flute.

In school I started learning how to play the guitar, but I mastered it a little more by practicing with tabs from the internet and with a help of a friend.

I can also play the bass, but just the punk way, like.. If you know how to play the guitar you can totally play punky (?) bass songs.

Also I know how to play drums, since I'm in a band and I see how my drummer plays and sometimes we switch instruments and he plays the guitar and I do the drums, it's pretty cool.

And that's it... Oh.. uhm, I'm a master in playing air guitar, air bass, air drums and I'm an awesome shower singer (or at least no one have ever complained about my growlings... lol)

--I think I wrote too much, sorry...-