Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Sky Alton

Screening 1

Welcome to our first screening! Grab yourself a snack and get comfy because the film is about to begin…

For each of these weekly screenings, we’re inviting you to pick between two Harry Potter films. You should then go and watch the one you picked and come back to offer your thoughts.

And when we say your thoughts, it really can be anything at all. Perhaps you like (or dislike) a particular scene. Maybe there’s a mistake or inaccuracy that bugs you. Maybe you’d like to cast somebody different in one of the roles. Providing it’s HOL appropriate and polite, anything goes. There is no wordcount but please try to put a bit of effort in.

Our options this week are Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets. You can choose to watch them both if you’d like/have the time. Also, if you’re unable to access a copy of either film, feel free to join in the discussion anyway. The screening part is purely for fun.

You’ll earn 5 rubies if you post your thoughts below by 11:59 PM HOL-time on 18 August.

I'd like to talk a bit about Chamber of Secrets.  First off, of all the Harry Potter films, this one has to be my very favorite.  I love a good 'before' story, and the appearance of young Tom Riddle and Moaning Myrtle are really good examples of that.  Christian Peter Coulson, the actor who played young Riddle was perfectly cast for the role.  He had just the right amount of sneer combined with charm that really worked for the character.  He was charistmatic, and one could see how others could be persuaded to follow him, but suitably sinister at the same time.  He MADE the character come alive for me, and not just as "Lord Voldemort".  To watch the evolution was fascinating.

One of my favorite scenes was when Riddle's diary is pierced by the basilisk fang.  I foud it almost gothic in nature (cue music from Dracula), so that appealed to me.  In fact, the whole sinister undertones of the plot took the story from "cute orphan kid finds out he's a wizard" cuteness to "NOW we have a worthy plot!"  Plus, the director of photography, Roger Pratt did such an amazing job of creating a sinister mood through lighting.  It was the perfect juxtaposition between light/dark, good/evil.  Kudos to him for a job well done!

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the movie:

“Funny, the damage a silly little book can do, especially in the hands of a silly little girl.” -Tom Riddle

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this