Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Sky Alton

May Scenario: The Room of Hidden Things

You line up outside the Room of Requirement, trying to crane around people to get a first glimpse of what’s behind the door. Everyone is chattering excitedly though a few people look a little nervous too. The line finally starts moving and very soon you find yourself in a vast chamber full of thousands upon thousands of strange objects, piled high to the ceiling…

The Situation

The staff are leading an expedition into The Room of Hidden Things in an attempt to stop people sneaking in there to explore unsupervised. There are a few rules: travel in groups, note down anything interesting you find and under no circumstances are you allowed to move (or remove) anything.

You may roleplay anywhere inside The Room of Requirement, which is currently in the form of the Room of Hidden things (the room where Harry hid the Half Blood Prince’s book which is full of strange objects that castle residents have wanted to hide over the years).

Read the guidelines before diving in and have fun!

Hannah sat down on the floor to wait and see if anyone wanted to go with her.  While she was waiting, she grabbed her sketchpad and started drawing a lion hugging a Gryffindor student.

Aure looked around, in awe of the massive stacks of furniture and odd pieces of magical items all around them. They were super excited to note down some of the stuff they would find in this huge room. The head students and professors had said no moving things, but they hadn't said they couldn't touch them... Hopefully there was nothing that bit in the room, though if Aure was bit in pursuit of interesting magical objects, they wouldn't be too upset. As they turned down a long aisle with large cabinets flanking either side, they saw Hannah sitting and drawing. "Hey, do you want to come explore with me?" Aure asked. They reached a hand down to help Hannah up if she wanted. "I like your drawing, by the way!"

"Thanks Aurelia," Hannah said.  She grabbed Aurelia's hand and stood up.  She asked, "Where should we go Aurelia?  Also, can I give you a hug?"

"Sure," Aure said, "hugs are nice." They peered down the two rows the pair stood in the middle of. One looked to get narrower as it went with piles that were both high and precarious. The other was poorly lit and they could only see for a few yards down it. Since they weren't sure how large the room was, the choice was hard to make. They turned back to Hannah. "Which path do you think looks the most interesting? I'm fine with exploring either. I wonder what things we might end up finding in here."

Hannah gave Aurelia a big hug with a smile.  "I think we should go down the poorly lit path because it sounds interesting," said Hannah.

Manya saw two students there, and can guess they were going somewhere, she went towards them, " Hey,HI, I am Manya, would you guys mind if I join you?"

"Hi Manya.  My name is Hannah.  I don't mind if you join us." said Hannah.

Maxim was standing a little inside the The Room of Hidden Things, with a large parchment in his hands. The parchment spilled out of his hands and down to the floor. From time to time as students began to pile in, Maxim crossed out something on the parchment or added a word or two in the margins.

'Be careful!' he barked at a particularly overzealous thid-year. 'I won't have time to rescue you when you get buried under a pile of things,' for good measure, Maxim pointed out to one of the big piles that was leaning precariously onto one of the main paths.

'Next?' Maxim sighed, rolling his eyes at some of the older years, probably 7ths, who pushed each other around before disappearing down one of the winding paths.

Hannah turned around and waved at Maxim.  Then, she grabbed Aurelia's hand and started skipping down the path.

"Can I go with you guys?" Manya asked Hannah and smiled at Maxim "Long time, Maxim! Isn't it?" Then she turned towards Hannah and Aurelia and waited for their response

Hannah said, "Sure" and grabbed Manya's hand.  Then, Hannah pointed to a pile next to her.  She said, "That's an assignment that belongs to my mum."  Then, Hannah skipped off holding her friends' hands.

"Hi Manya, I'm Aure," Aure said, holding out their hand. "I'm excited to see what all we find in here." They nodded towards Maxim as the group passed him, and hoped that groups would stop being quite so rowdy while the small group of friends was exploring.

"Wow, that's so cool," they told Hannah. "Do you know which class it was for?"

Hannah skipped over and picked up the piece of paper.  She looked back at her friends and asked, "You won't tell Maxim about me picking up the piece of paper?"  She looked down at the paper.  "It says it's for astronomy," she said.  "It also has a little note at the bottom.  It says: Hello, your dear friend did not pass this class."  Hannah added, "Ooh that's quite interesting.  It says that this paper is from her first year."

"Hi Aure, nice to meet you"! Said Manya as she hold their hand and discovered Hannah's mom's assignment. "Oh wow!! That is really very interesting, You know I belong from a muggle family, so I am the first person from our family in Hogwarts! And yeah, obviously we won't tell Maxim, do not worry dear! :) 

By the way, will you please tell me more what's written here, I love this subject!" Manya asked Hannah.

"Ok," Hannah said.  "I love astronomy.  It says 'You did great in this class.  You turned in all the homework on time.  So, you have earned the participation award.'  The assignment was to find 2 meteor showers and mark them down in your journal, and to help 2 students in your class."   Hannah looked up from the paper and saw a picture of the four founders in one of the piles.  She said, "Hey guys, look ..."

"Are these are the pictures of the four founders?! But it was an astronomy assignment?!" Manya asked as she was shocked!

Hannah said, "The photo is next to the assignment."  She looked down at the assignment again and said, "Oooh.  This assignment is signed by the four founders."

Sky emerges out of a distant corner, her robes covered in dust and a long piece of parchment trailing behind her. She's been cataloguing items (and sneezing) all day and she's just about ready to call it quits.

"Any problems?" she asks Maxim, coming to lean on the wall beside him and wiping her brow. "I've found 750 fanged Frisbees, half a stuffed troll and 6 ever-bashing boomerangs. Which, incidentally, is a misnomer. They are definitely no longer bashing. One was twitching a bit...."

Maxim spied Sky coming from one of the corners in the Room. She didn’t look her best and he was seriously considering his stance on standing uselessly by the door and keeping an eye on pesky, trouble-making students. He didn’t want to get that much dust on him. Snorting at Sky’s comment about the Frisbees, he nodded and jotted down some numbers.

‘There’s always a problem with the lot,’ Maxim swung his quill hand in the direction of the more rowdy groups. ‘Nothing I couldn’t handle, though,’ he acquiesced and gave her a scroll that had around a dozen names on it. ‘Detention for those, but as Head Student, I can only deduct the points,’ Maxim briefly explained, even though he was sure Sky knew that. ‘Professors hand out the detentions.’

‘Everything okay with you?’ Maxim asked, obviously checking his friend up and down. ‘Are you a stone heavier cause of that or…?’ he trailed off, smirking.

Sky gives him a look that says it may well be 13 people in detention if he continues being a smart alec.

"I'm just fine, thank you," she says, wrinkling her nose and using her wand to syphon off the worst of the dust. "I'll see those 12 in my office once we're done here. I need more fertiliser in the greenhouses. They can go gather me some in the Care of Magical Creatures paddock."

She peers over his shoulder at the running list he's keeping of people's discoveries.

"Anything interesting? Any fabulous jewels or cursed hats yet?"

Hannah ran over to Maxim and said, "Hey Maxim.  I found this assignment and I thought you could bring it to the Ravenclaw common room."  Then she pointed behind her.  "Look at those students.  They're picking things off the piles," she said.

Manya ran after Hannah, she asked Maxim " Do you know anything about this assignment?" She saw Sky there and asked, " Hey, Sky you okay? Looks like the dust has got you?"

Sky smiles at Manya and Hannah, then ruefully glances at her robes.

"It does rather look that way, doesn't it?" she asks.

She cranes her neck to see the misbehaving students Hannah was talking about and gives them a glare to rival a basilisk's.

"That's a few more for detention then...."

Hannah said, "I'm glad I could be helpful Professor Sky.  Your robes don't look that bad."  She ran back to Aurelia and said, "Here is an old issue of the Pawprint News.  Ok guys.  Let's keep exploring."  She turned back to Manya and asked, "Are you coming?"