Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Sky Alton

April Scenario: The Seeds of Spring

The spring sunshine is warm on the back of your neck as you lean over to examine a tray of plants. A cool breeze blows through the open greenhouse door, rustling the many leaves around you.

The Situation:

It’s spring and that means there’s plenty of work to be done in the greenhouses. The herbology professor has asked for volunteers to help plant seeds and repot the rapidly growing seedlings in greenhouse 1. Watch out for the fanged geraniums!

You may roleplay anywhere within greenhouse 1 (that’s the one with safer plants, so no mandrakes or venomous tentaculars here). You may also roleplay in the grounds and vegetable patches around it.

Remember to read the guidelines before diving in. Have fun!

Aurelia had donned her oldest robes (the ones beginning to fray at the bottom) and, equipped with her sturdy gardening gloves, was ready to get to work. It had been  a while since she last stepped foot in greenhouse 1, so she took a moment to reacquaint herself with the sights, smells, and sounds of the plants within. Making her way to some brightly colored plants near the window, she knelt down and started repotting them.

Hannah saw Aurelia leaving the castle and wondered where she was going so she decided to follow her.  She followed her all the way to the greenhouses and when they arrived, Hannah asked, "What can I do in here?"

Lorainia is very excited that it's finally time for spring planting. She heads to the greenhouses because the professor has asked for help replanting. As she enters greenhouse 1, she sees that Aurelia and Hannah are already there. Lorainia greets them. Then she looks around to see what to start with.   She puts on her gloves and starts very carefully replanting some honking daffodils that have out grown their pots.

Hannah looked around and spotted some snowdrop seeds that needed to be planted.  She grabbed the seeds, then saw an empty planter bed, grabbed a shovel, and started shoveling little holes to put the seeds in.  After planting them, Hannah watered them.  Then, she ran up to Hogwarts and got some water and went back to the greenhouse and gave a cup to Aurelia and Lorainia.  Then, she sat down on a bench she saw in the greenhouse.

Maxim arrived to the Herbology Greenhouses and was happy to see that a lot of the students were already hard at work. He did not have to play the bad guy and shoo some of the more languid people to work. As the class assistant it mostly fell onto him to supervise everything that went on in the Herbology area when a professor was not present.

'How is everyone doing?' Maxim greeted the gathered students. He levitated a bag or two of dragon dung to the center of the greenhouse for easier reach of those that could not lift such a heavy burden (or did not want to get dirty).

'Does anyone need help?' he made sure to glance outside as well if someone was near the vegetable patch.

Hannah jumped off the bench and said, "Hi Maxim!"  She ran over to the dragon dung with a shovel and started putting some into the dirt.  When she finished, she asked Maxim, "How did I do on the snowdrops?"  Then, she sat down in the dirt and waited for his reply.

'Hello Hannah,' Maxim smiled gently as he observed the young girl taking care of the lovely snowdrops. 'You did great!' he lauded, but startled a little when she dropped down onto the dirt. Well, she was dedicated, Maxim had to give her that.

'If you want to help some more, give me a hand with these empty pots,' Maxim pointed at the far corner of the greenhouse. They need to be brought to the stone bench here,' he then pointed at the massive stone slab in the middle where most of the classes were taught.

'Should any be too heavy for you, give me a call and I will help,' he said and moved to what appeared to be a third year battling a particularly large sack of dung.

Hannah asked, "How are you Maxim?"  Without waiting for an answer, Hannah jumped up and ran over to the pots.  She piled as many as she could put in her arms carefully.  She brought them over to the stone bench.  She ran out of the greenhouse and went to Hogwarts, where she got water for everybody and a handful of snacks.  She ran back to the greenhouse and put them on the wooden bench in the corner of the greenhouse.  Then, glancing over her shoulder, she said, "Hey Maxim.  I like your outfit."  Then she smiled and sat down on the bench.  

'I'm quite well, Hannah, if a little busy,' Maxim answered and supervised her as she carried out the task. Hannah did not seem to have much problem doing it, so he left her to her own devices when she disappeared back into the castle.

'What a lovely idea about the snacks and refreshing water,' he complimented the first years and helped himself to some water.

'Thank you, Hannah,' Maxim replied to the young girl, subconsciously smoothing down the front of his robes. That, naturally, transferred some dirt from his gloves onto the fabric.

'Darn it,' he sighed, taking out his wand. 'Tergeo!' Maxim cast the spell, pointing the wand toward himself. He saw the dirt and other general muck siphoning away, leaving clean clothes behind.

'Everyone!' Maxim called out. 'Please slowly finish your tasks, the greenhouses will close soon.' They still had some time to go, but it would do good to remind the workers of the time left. That way, no plant would be halfway to re-potting.

Hannah said, "I'm glad you are doing well Maxim."  She jumped off the bench and picked up some snapdragon seeds.  She ran over to an empty bed and started planting them.  Then, after she planted the seeds, she put a glass dome over the planter box.  Then, she walked over to walk beside Maxim.

Hearing Maxim's warning, Aurelia quickly finished with the plants she was repotting, then stood up with a grin. "Thanks for the heads up!" she said in Maxim's direction. "This was a fun day. It's nice spending time with the plants every now and then." She turned to Hannah. "Thank you for the water earlier! Would you like to walk back to the dorms together?" 

Maxim went to inspect Hannah's work, finding no fault except for a few flecks of dirt on the glass, which really was just an unfortunate reality of the work in the greenhouses. 'Well done, Hannah,' he praised the girl's efforts.

'You can go and relax now,' he gently said, waving his wand in the direction of the refreshments. One of the older years, she was in one of his classes if he recalled offered Hannah to go with her.

'I think that's a good idea,' Maxim nodded and pointed at the mess students started to leave behind. 'I'll finish here and lock up the greenhouses, you two and go along. Thanks for the help!'

"Thank Maxim," Hannah said.  She grabbed Aurelia's hand and skipped back to Hogwarts.