Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Sky Alton

December Scenario: Frozen Fun

You join the crowds streaming down the front steps, bundled up against the bitter north wind that seems determined to throw stinging snow into your face. Nobody seems to care: the whole school is abuzz with the news that the surface of the lake has finally frozen solid.

The Situation:

The lake has completely frozen over and people are heading down their for the afternoon to skate, throw snowballs and generally make the most of the cold weather. Wrap up warm, grab a flask of hot butterbeer and get going before you lose what’s left of the daylight.

You may roleplay anywhere on the lake itself and on the shores/the surrounding parts of the grounds.

Make sure you've read the guidelines before jumping in. Have fun!

Maxim hurried down the castle grounds to reach the lake as soon as possible. He had a thermos of hot chocolate in his gloved hands, his Ravenclaw scarf warming his face from the cold. When the Head Boy arrived, there were some students already having fun, but none that he recognized.

The Ravenclaw decided to borrow some skates and take the chance of current solitude to make a few laps on the frozen lake before someone he knows would come. With a sip of his hot chocolate, he minimized the thermos and put it securely in his pocket before donning on the skates.

Maxim took a few wobbly steps on the ice, before catching his balance after which he started gracefully gliding on the surface, doing some simple twists and loops, and looking out for any obstacles.

Sky lightly kicks off from the ground and her broom rises gently into the icy air. She does a few circuits of the lake, her eyes streaming with cold. It seemed like such a good way to keep an eye on things to make sure nobody got into difficulty when she'd been nice and toasty by her office fire...

She notices Maxim skating around with ease and skims low over the frozen surface of the lake to wave to him.

Rose strolled around the beautiful frozen lake, with her ice skates in her hand. She sees Maxim smoothly gliding across the lake, remebering that she doesn't know how to skate. She couldn't see anyone she knew, so she sat down, and started making a tiny snowman. There wasn't any snow fall at her home, so this was the first experience for Rose. Wishing she had known how to ice skate too, she begins with a sandcastle.

Ivey hurriedly ran down to Hogsmeade to buy a pair of skates because she had never anticipated needing them. When she finally got a nice shiny pair that actually fit (shoe stores were always confusing), she ran back to the castle without any Hogwarts staff seeing her (she wasn't entirely sure she could just run down to Hogsmeade whenever she pleased but... this was an emergency after all). Through the castle, out onto the lawn, and down to the lake she ran bundled up in a red felt-like coat. She got to the edge of the ice and surveyed everything. Sky was on her broom talking to Maxim who didn't seem to be having an issue skating and Rose was on the edge of the ice making what looked like a sandcastle out of snow. 

Ivey slid on her new skates - white with red laces, a red fluffy rim around the top, and silver skates. She uncertainly tried to stand up and only ended up falling back down again. Eventually, she managed to get to her feet and kick off onto the ice. Her legs felt like they were shaking at the fear of falling over. Getting a few feet onto the lake, Ivey toppled onto the ice and couldn't manage to get herself back up again. 

Taking off her skates, she figured she'd try again later when someone was willing to help her out and made her way over to Rose to help with the snow castle. 

Maxim swerved around Sky, then promptly tripped over a raised bump in the ice. He waved with arms to help with regaining balance. 'Who gave you a riding license?' Maxim yelled after his friend with a grin (even though it was totally his fault). The Eagle then sped away to the shore so she would not catch up to him and trip him or something. He would not have put it past her.

He stopped near Rose, who was soon joined by Iverian. 'You did great on the ice, Iverian,' Maxim smiled at the Prefect and sat down near the pair.

'Hey Rose,' he greeted the first year. He remembered her from previous Hogwarts shenanigans. 'What thing are you making?'

Rose stands up as she sees Iverian coming. "Hey Ivey! You are a good skater. I was, uh, making a snow castle", she says, pointing.

'Oh, hello, Maxim. You are really a wonderful skater, you know, the best I've seen.'

She greets both the Prefect and the Head Boy, and notices Prof. Alton up in the snowy sky.

Manya finally got released from the hospital and went back to school again, searching for Rose, she saw her near the lake making a snow man and talking to Maxim and Ivey.

"Heyy! How you are all doing?" Manya gave Rose a tight as she missed her Best friend a lot, while she was suffering. Manya greeted with a smile her Head boy and Prefect.

"Hey Maxim, hi Ivey, awee i missed you guys so much!" She got so emotional that she started weeping!

As she saw Manya coming, Rose, delighted, ran to her. "How are you? I've been missing you a lot! Nice to see you back, bestie!"

She was very happy, and without noticing, stepped on her snowman. "Well, Manya, while you were away, many house newspapers published their new issues. There's a lot to tell you."

Sky lands lightly beside the gaggle of students.

"Great to see you back, Manya," she smiles at the newly arrived first year.

She gestures over her shoulder.

"Some people are trying to set up a curling match over there if anyone's interested. It's this strange muggle sport."

"Snow castle, eh?" Maxim grinned, looking down at Rose's creation. "It looks pretty awesome. Maybe considering adding a moat or some towers so it'll be better defended?" he advised. The castle did look pretty great, better than anything he could have created.

At Rose's compliment, Maxim blushed. "Ah, I'm not that great, truly," he shrugged. "I just did some skating when I was younger."

Manya, another Gryffindor first year he knew, soon joined them. "Missed you too Manya, you and Rose did a great job with The Fat Lady search," Maxim smiled.

He wanted to warn Rose about the snowman, but it was too late and she stepped on it. "Well, we can always make another," Maxim said to himself as he let the two friend reunite.

"Curling?" Maxim took on an excited note when Sky joined them from the... well, sky. "I watched it, but never managed to play it. I call dibs on one of the sweepers," he yelled, making his way to the curling area.

[OOC: Sorry for disappearing, life happened. :O]

Edited by Maxim Trevelyan

"Hello Professor!' Rose greeted Prof. Sky, as she descended from her broomstick.

'Curling? Manya, you are a muggle born. Do you know anything about curling?" she added to Manya.

She then noticed what she did to her snowman, but she was very happy at the arrival of Manya to give it any thinking.

"Good idea, Maxim. I'll try." Rose smiled at Maxim.

Iverian smiled at Maxim’s compliment, it was sweet, but she knew she was more a harm to herself and others on the ice than on the ground. Perhaps staying on a solid, non slippery, surface would be best for now. Her skates would come in use later when she’d built up the courage to try again. 

She was just admiring Rose’s snowman when Manya walked up and Rose, in her excitement, knocked it over. “Well, this is almost a challenge to build a bigger and better one!” Ivey announced. 

Ivey greeted Manya, happy to see the bubbly first year back. By now, Sky had joined their growing group clustered around the destroyed snowman and challenged them all to a curling match. Ivey had no idea what curling was, but decided to give it a try anyway since the others seemed to know what they were doing. ‘I’ll watch them and figure out how it’s done,’ she thought.

Maxim announced his role as a ‘sweeper’ though Ivey had absolutely zero idea what that consisted of. “Me too! I’m also a sweeper, definitely the role I play best as in all the times I’ve participated in a curling competition,” she announced with the confidence of a turtle challenging a hare to a race.

With that thought, Ivey made her way over to some of the students setting up the match and volunteered herself as part of the team. 

Edited by Iverian Gnash

'We're gonna be the best sweepers ever,' Maxim offered Iverian his fist for a bump. He handed her one of the brooms and pointed at the far end of the curling rink. 'We sweep, or brush, the ice to make sure that this,' he pointed at the stones by their feet, 'make it as close to the center as possible.'

He swept the ice before their feet to show her how. 'The more we sweep, the faster the stone goes, the less, the slower,' he finished then gave a smile. 'But since you've already competed in curling, I'm sure you already knew all this,' Maxim scratched his head in embarrassment. He leaned on his broom and waited for some of the gathered people to slide a stone and start the match.

Ivey returned Maxim’s fist bump and the broom he offered her. Right as worry about how to actually play began to seep in, Maxim began explaining it. Ivey was relieved the concept of sweeping was explained to her as it began to make sense and she started to piece together the gameplay. 

With the broom in hand, she watched the rest of the team assemble and prepared to play a round. Hopefully her lack of skill and experience with the game wouldn’t show too much, but more importantly how was she to keep her balance on the ice when she definitely couldn’t before? 

Pulling on her skates, she decided to just give it her best shot. It’d be fun either way and she was eager to learn a new game.