Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Sky Alton

Owl Winter Long Overview

You step into the bustle of the Hogsmeade Post Office. Owls of all sizes are preening on shelves, packages are being weighed on brass scales and people are browsing the vast selection of magical greetings cards. All around you there is a tremendous racket going on: hooting, screeching, chatting and the mingled rustling of paper and feathers. The staff and the owls are all looking a little flustered by the sheer volume of work to be done. They look like they could use a helping hand…

This month in Gryffindor, we’re doing what we can to help some of the hardest workers in the wizarding world during their busiest time of the year! Winter is a time for festivities of all different types and for remembering those you love who live elsewhere. This often takes the form of letters, packages and cards which are all delivered by our trusty feathered friends. We’re taking up residence in the Hogsmeade Post Office to see what we can do to lighten the load.

Everything for the activity is due at 11:59 PM HOL-time on the 20th of December. There will be 5 main tasks (a mixture of creative and puzzle based), with a new one released every 4 days (on the 30th of November and then the 4th, 8th, 12th and 16th of December). We’re also helping in the lost parcel department, with a new parcel to sort being posted every 2 days between the 30th of November and 18th of December. If you’re having difficulties completing a task due to accessibility reasons, just drop us a line and we’ll be glad to find an alternative that suits you better.

Each task is worth 10 rubies and each parcel correctly sorted is worth 2. In addition, there will be a 20 ruby bonus for anyone who completes all 5 main tasks and answers at least 6 of the parcel questions correctly. That’s a total of 90 in all!

Remember that everything is due on the 20th. Have fun!

You have just over 48 hours to turn in things for Owl Winter Long! We'll need everything signed, sealed and delivered by 11:59 PM HOL-time on December 20th.

Thank you all so much for your help! The staff and owls of the Hogsmeade Postal Service wanted me to pass on their heartfelt appreciation for all your efforts to make their lives easier during this flurry of activity.

All rubies should have been awarded now. If you think there have been any miscalculations, just let me know.

I hope you all have a relaxing and enjoyable rest of the year and a promising start to 2021. Now, I'm off to deliver a few last minute letters....