Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Sky Alton

September Scenario: Breakfast in the Great Hall

You step inside the Great Hall to see morning sunlight pouring through the windows and fluffy white clouds scudding across the ceiling. The enticing smell of breakfast is in the air and the room is full of excited chatter. It’s the first morning of term.

The situation:

It’s the first morning (back) at Hogwarts. Everyone had fun at the feast last night and is on their way from the dormitories for a good breakfast to set them up for a day of classes. It’s time to collect your timetable, catch up with friends (or make new ones), eat some yummy food and work through any start of term jitters you might be having. Watch out for low flying packages, the post should be arriving soon!

The Location:

You may roleplay in the great hall and the entrance hall only. You can talk about classes but don’t actually move to the classrooms.

Make sure you've read the guidelines before jumping in. Have fun!

*Opening the door to the Great Hall* I stand still for a moment absorbing what I'm seeing. The tables are set, the smell of breakfast in the air is delightful. There are not that many people here yet, so I decide I'm going to take my time walking towards the Gryff table. Looking around I try finding familiar faces, I see some friends in the other tables from the other houses so I wave at them with a giant smile that I haven't been able to wipe out of my face since we got here. I arrive at a certain spot in the table where I see some plant based food and I sit. *sigh* A mug with coffee appears in front of me and I know it's gonna be a great day. I stay looking at the giant door in hopes more people come and join in for breakfast.

Sebastien ran into The Great Hall, his robes and black and yellow Hufflepuff tie all askew. Due to all the excitement of last night's Sorting, he was up for too long and overslept. Sebastien moved graciously through the people coming and going, apologizing whenever he bumped into anyone. He looked around for any of his housemates, unfortunately not finding any. Shrugging, Sebastien decided to start with his breakfast, piling up some good, hearty food on his plate.

• Like 1

*Late as always*

I entered into the great hall! The tables are set , and full of delicious breakfast, I sit beside Rose whom I met at Diagon Alley and we travelled together thriugh Hogwarts Express.. I got to know that we have only one class together that's a little sad but the good news is she is my roommate. I saw the house ghosts saying "Good Morning"!  And according to th time table now I have rush to the classes!

• Like 1

Sky hurries into the great hall with an immense bundle of Gryffindor timetables under her arm. She spent a little too long trying to get the fall of  her lilac robes just right in the mirror this morning. She wants to look the part on her first day as a professor. Of course, it meant she nearly forgot to pick these up from the magical printing press on her way down here....

She smiles absently around at the students before heading over to the Gryffindor table. She juggles with the pile for a second before she's able to read the name on the top one and pass it to the right student. She slowly makes her way down the table, passing pieces of paper to Carrie and Manya with a cheerful good morning as she goes.

A fluttering and clattering of wings makes her look up. The first volley of post owls is arriving.

• Like 1

Ivey cautiously comes into the Great Hall. She spent forever picking out the perfect outfit. After all, it wasn't every day she would make her first impressions as PiC on her classmates. However, when she reached the Great Hall, Iverian was suddenly more nervous than she thought she'd be. She was never one to do well in a crowd, but she straightened herself up, smoothed her purple sundress with her bright badge on it, and stepped with authority into the Great Hall, her sandals making little tapping noises as she walked. Ivey quickly made her way to the Gryffindor table and lost all of her stately composure when she spotted her friends. She ran up to Sky, grabbed her time table from her and tackle hugged her. It wasn't like they'd been writing to each other all summer anyway >_>  Right as she slid into a seat next to Carrie and Manya, giving them an excited greeting and hug to match, she noticed the Hufflepuff across the table. Ivey hadn't met him before, but she gave him a cheery good morning and grabbed for the closest pastry. 

However, her breakfast would have to wait as she noticed what everyone else had. The owls were quickly flying into the hall. Ivey jumped up and grabbed a letter as it fell from her family's owl. "Thanks Coco!" she screamed after him. Coco turned his head and gave a happy hoot back as he flew out. She opened up her letter to find a note from her sister who had just graduated. She was off interning with Healers at St. Mungo's and she had quite the story to tell about a certain patient and the weirdest accident she'd ever seen. Her sister informed her of a few particular Hogwarts secrets she might want to know as the school year progress along as well as including five galleons to spend as she wished on her first Hogsmeade trip. 

Ivey happily folded the letter back up and put the money in her hand bag. She'd make sure to write back tonight. Iverian looked at her friends to see if they'd received any packages. 

• Like 1

Ada had spent the entire night before choosing an outfit, and she had finally decided on yellow and light pink robes. She walked into the Great Hall, trying to look more confident than she felt. She was a Junior Prefect now, and didn't want to seem overly nervous. She spotted some of her friends at a nearby table, and hurried to sit on the other side of Ivey. She was excited to see Rose and Manya, who she'd been writing to over the summer, and to meet Sebastien, a new Hufflepuff. She had missed Ivey and Sky over the summer, and was happy to see them again. 

Ada suddenly heard the mail coming in, and looked up just in time to see Daisy, her owl, swooping down. She excitedly opened her mail, and found letters from her family telling her to have a great first day. Ada smiled and reached for a piece of bread.

• Like 1

Rose enters the hall with a smile on her face. She is excited to make lots of new friends. She looks around in search of some Gryffindors she met on the train and sees Manya. She walks up to her and Manya gives Rose a warm smile. They sit down together and start talking about classes as this is their first year at Hogwarts. Rose gives Manya a big Chocolate Frog Box which she brought for her friends. Then she sees Ada, Prof. Sky and Ivey and rushes towards them to wish them a good day and asks them how their summer holidays had gone. She congratulates Ada for being a Junior Prefect and Ivey too, as she is now a Prefect in Charge. She gives Ivey a best friend badge ( yes, it's a shiny one, Ivey! ), Ada a luxurious feather quill and Prof. Sky a book on Quidditch. Then she walks back to Manya and asks her if Ada has been writing to her too. She is very excited for her first year and is looking forward for all her classes. The morning sky can be seen through the windows ( and the enchanted roof ). The sun is shining brightly like if its enjoying everyone's presence there too, just like Rose is enjoying it. The weather is just perfect and the wind is blowing softly across the school grounds. Rose enjoys the morning in the glory of the rising sun and thanks the world for giving her such a wonderful school and friends as she haves a delicious breakfast.

Manya saw Rose her best friend finally coming towards her with a chocolate frog box, and start waving at her. She calmed down thinking at least she was not the only one who's late. She asked Ivey about the house ghosts and new passwords. She could see Proffessor Sky with a bright  smile on face and giving Manya her time table. She was really happy to see Sky--- her very first friend on Hogwarts. Then she again saw Ivey polishing her prefect batch and talking to everyone and smiling, Manya was feeling very nervous then she saw Hufflepuff, Sebastien, they introduce each other and became friends. Then she finally saw Ada, their junior prefect, one of the best girls she had seen, they have been written each other all over the summer. Then she saw her time table and thought it is the time to rise and shine!

"Thanks for the book, Rose. You're so sweet!" Sky exclaims, tucking it into an inner pocket of her robes. "How was everyone's summer? Did anyone do anything interesting? Go on any adventures?"

She looks about her, glancing towards the top table where the other professors are sitting. She's starving but can't go and sit down until all these time tables are handed out. Guiltily, she sneaks a piece of toast from a nearby rack and  munches on it as she checks her list of students.

I read and read the time table Professor Sky just gave me. "My word... she is so organized!" I think to myself and take out a little notebook I keep in my robe - it's my own organizer so I don't forget stuff. 

Ivey looked stunning! I felt like crying of joy. After all it was her first official day as Prefect-in-Charge. Although after all the hugs and fuss her outfit got a bit messy so I tried getting her attention - the annoying perfectionist OCD me - so she could straighten it *Ivey! Ivey! your outfit!*

From a couple chairs ahead I could hear Sky's question about our summer and I told her that my summer was chill and calmed... truth is it was everything but chill, but she seem so busy and hungry that I didn't want to bother her with such long story. 

I see my owl Sapphire - she is still very young and a bit clumsy - entering with a letter which she drops in my bowl of cereal and then starts to eat my cereal... oh well...

I had done this many times before, but for some reason I was expecting things to be different.  But the Great Hall was still the same, even if I noticed some people having fancier badges than before.  Entering the Hall, I knew where to go for my two timetables:  one for the classes I was taking and one for the classes I was teaching.  Watching some of the Gryffindors having fun at their end of the hall, I didn't want to bother them for now - but rather just sat down at my own House Table to grab something to eat.

Tarma wanders into the Great Hall, looking around absently. She'd been up late with a sick Crup (don't ask) and felt sort of bleary-eyed. Looking at all the new faces, she smiles. So much enthusiasm!  So much potential for mischief!  (She wonders  if one of the new people left the exploding jelly beans somewhere for a curious Crup to pick up.  Hmmm. )

Wending her way to the table for Professors, she looks around - ah, there it is, the Coffee Pot. She waves at the folks she recognizes as she makes her way to what (she hopes) will make up for hours of lost sleep.

*steps inside the Great Hall, stunned from the amazing size of the room, looking up at the magical ceiling*

*a smell of coffee and croissants approaches*

*Silently check for the Gryffindor table full of students, looking for a place to sit while packages are getting delivered from hundreds of owls*

*Look at the table bench and sits on it at 2 meters from the closest student minding his own business*

*hearing loud chatting on the left side of the room*

*He looks for some milk and biscuits that magically appear on his right side, like they knew what he was looking for* Incredible! *he exclaims with lower voice*

*Looking on the right side he sees professors chatting among each other with air of knowledge and experience*

Maxim stumbled into The Great Hall, looking around for any of his Ravenclaw friends. He was up late last night reviewing his Head Boy duties and had no idea how quickly things can pile up if you did not keep up with them. Maxim also finished his newest class and the assignments pile was already getting higher with each passing day.

With narrowed eyes, he spied his person of interest at the Gryffindor table and half-ran, half-skipped to her, smiling gently to all the first and second year lions gathered around her.

"Don't you just love the start of term?" he grinned at Sky. Maxim waved the parchment with his classes that he took this morning (perks of being a Head Boy) from his common room. "So much to do, so little time. When're we meeting for Herbology?"

He looked at the group. "Hey, guys. Be careful with this one," he pointed at Sky. "She's much scarier than she appears."

Ivey heard Carrie screaming her name and looked up to see her trying to get her attention. She looked down at her dress which was a bit of a... mess. Straightening it out more so it had the look of 'pretty summer dress' and not 'wrinkly mess'. She fastened her best friend badge to her dress, right next to her prefect badge and thanked Rose for it. Ivey loved shiny things and this was the perfect addition to her robe. She noticed Sky had taken off down the long table and decided to prance behind her telling her about everything that had happened over the summer.

Right as she went to get up from her seat, she noticed Will and Tarma coming into the room. She waved at both of them and watched Maxim walking up to Sky. Ivey decided to join them, walking up right as Maxim commented on Sky's ferociousness. "Now, now, she's only scary if you decide to bring a Niffler into the common room and it takes her shinies while you're in class not watching it." Ivey giggled and glanced over at Tarma - who had still not noticed her Niffler had gone missing, must have been a bit busy with the sick crup. 

"Hey Carrie!" Ivey called across the table to Carrie. "Would you say a Niffler in the common room is a good idea?" She grabbed a strawberry pastry off the table as it was being passed by and glanced down at her schedule. 

Sky considers pulling a face, remembers that she's Head of House, thinks better of it and covers it up as a yawn.

"You know," she says, placing a finger on her nose, " I am looking for some people to decant some bags of dragon dung into containers for me. I wonder who I could recruit for such a wonderful extra duty."

She glances away to hide her smile.

"Anyway, my first class is second period," she informs Maxim, "I thought I'd go down early to see whether the Screechsnaps have germinated yet or not. Although perhaps I'd better stop by Gryffindor tower first to check for missing shiny objects..."

Tarma has her mug of coffee safely in her hand, and is sipping at the restorative (and very hot) brew. She sees more people that she knows and smiles toward them. She waved at Iverian (who she knows has a nickname of Dead Mousie - it's a long story ...) and wonders just what kind of trouble that one was going to create this Term.  Holding her mug in both hands (hey, it's cold in here!) she starts to wander towards the table where Professors are supposed to sit. On the way she spies a gathering group of people and grins. Oh, yes, she knows them. Who knows what kind of mischief those people will make?

She involuntarily ducks (not spilling any coffee) and looks to see what she was avoiding. Oh! The owls are arriving, bearing many packages!

Maxim snorted, and tried to cover up his reaction with a cough. “As a Head Boy, I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that,” he said to Iverian, winking at the Prefect. “Cases of temporary deafness due to Plimpies is a terrible affliction,” Maxim sighed, putting his hand over his heart. “So terrible. I’m just glad it’s not my common room.”

Maxim picked up a cup of hot cocoa from the Gryffindor table and took a sip, wiggling happily at the way the cocoa warmed his insides. Two very familiar professors entered the Great Hall and Maxim raised his mug in a friendly hello before turning to Sky to answer her.

“I mean, Iverian is right here,” Maxim pointed at the young Prefect in Sky’s allusions to extra work. “I got first year supervision with other Head Students, I can’t do it,” he quickly said, his eyes searching the Great Hall for his colleagues, but not finding them anywhere. “But I can make time for Herbology preparations. My duties do not start until third period anyway and then I have class the fourth.”

He turned to the small group of lion ducklings. “If y’all need any help, navigating the castle or some such, you can always ask me,” Maxim offered and took another delicious sip.

Planning about the homework with Rose, Manya saw many new faces, he saw a Gryffindor first year boy sitting at their right side, she gave him a smile. Then she saw their head boy talking with Ivey, She was so exciting seeing new faces that she almost forgot to grab some food. Everything was looking mouth watering, and she grabbed a bowl of pudding and stared at the door looking at may new faces entering hurrily!!

As Rose enjoys her morning with Manya, many people enter the Great Hall. Rose is delighted to see new faces and eagerly waits for the day to start. She meanwhile thinks what would be the best gift for Maxim, Prof. Tarma and Jasper as she studies her time table. People around her are very happy and the noises of laughing, chuckling, people exchanging jokes or discussing classes.

"Transfiguration is good, you know, but History Of Magic isn't too bad, according to me", Rose discusses with Manya, as she notices that Manya's full attention is at a tasty bowl of pudding. Rose too, then proceeds towards some pudding.

Tarma smiles as she looks at all the excited faces and the body languages saying 'we're here! we're here!'. She also notices some others who don't seem to be so happy to be back at school and wonders about their stories. However, it'll all settle down and things will sort themselves out. They always do!

She raises the mug for another sip. Oh oh.  It's empty! Sighing a bit softly (yes, it was a long night with that Crup!), she makes her way back to the Coffee Pot.

Gail entered the great hall, her hair sticking out in more directions than she'd have liked; She'd tried to tame it with a brush for what felt like a small eternity, but it had shown itself unimpressed and she'd finally given up and decided to just put it up in some semblance of a bun and pretend it was meant to look that way.

She looked around the hall and saw that Maxim had in fact arrived before her, but she didn't see Arianna anywhere, so she decided to walk up to him first.
"Morning" she said, nodding to Sky and Ivey who were also both there, before leaning over the table to grab a roll; the elves really made the best breakfasts.
"How are your timetables this year?" she asked. "Mine's insane. I am so glad I got a head start on some of the reading over the holidays. Otherwise I'd have no idea when to manage it." she looked to Maxim. "Was fifth year this mad last year too?"

While Rose was discussing about Transfiguration with Manya, she saw another new face entering. Shes saw their seniors( Prefects, Head boy, Professors) discussing something together. She told Rose " I am feeling a little nervous dude!!" Then Rose said "It is fine, after all our first time at Hogwarts. They saw the house ghosts introducing themselves and waving at them, suddenly Manya receives an owl, It's from her family they sent her muggle chocolate boxes for her friends she gave Rose a chocolate box, then she went to Ivey, Sky,Prof. Tarma and Maxim to give them chocolate boxes!

Tarma sees Manya approaching, carrying something, carrying many somethings. She didn't know this first year Lion but was familiar with Carrie and had seen Manya hanging around with her.  She smiles at the new student, and then glances around again. So many people! And the owls ... she laughs as she sees an owl drop a package on someone's plate of food nearby (fortunately the plate was almost empty); the owl must be new to delivering packages! A quick little charm cleans up the mess, leaving the plate (and package) clean.