Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Sky Alton

Need Some Class Advice?

It won't be long until September 1st when term begins and class signups open. It can feel like there's a lot to take into account when you pick which you'll be taking but going in prepared can really help.

Do you have any questions about classes, homework, quills or  points? Do you need some advice about balancing things or getting yourself organised?

Ask here and let people give you the benefit of their experience :)

Is it a good idea to try again on a class if you failed the class last year?

That really depends on whether you particularly liked the class or not. Failing classes happens a lot so there's no reason to feel embarrassed about it (real life happens to everyone) - nobody expects you  to retake it to make good.

On the other hand if you enjoyed the class then you should absolutely think about taking it again; it can sometimes be a good idea to chat to the professor beforehand to make sure there's nothing to stop you passing this time. they're not allowed to give you new points for work you've already done in a previous term (even if you do it afresh) so you'll need to double check you can still earn a quill from things you haven't already attempted.

I think I'm a bit of classaholic; the signups open and then all of a sudden I'm like an over-excited witch at Honeydukes. I see so much I like and want to try that once I've chosen them and Muggle life starts to take over, I can't help but think I've taken on too much.

• Like 1

That's a totally understandable but thorny problem. It's tricky to solve because there's absolutely no way of knowing what might crop up in muggle life. One approach might be to pick 2 or 3 classes to start off with and then make a short list of others you'd like to take. If you manage to stay on top of what you've already chosen/have a bit more free time than you thought, you can then revisit the list and check to see which of your shortlist are still open for signups. A few professors may shut off signups manually for themselves but a lot of classes will stay open until signups close on the 20th of December.

Another tip might be to look at ways you can get organised/set time aside so you never feel overwhelmed. Also, remember that the vast majority of classes will be offered again at some point, even if it's not in the next term. You might get unlucky and miss out on a class but it tends not to happen very often. :)

This might sound like a silly question:

If I take a full year class and the rest 4 one term, does that mean that next term I can only choose 4 more classes instead of 5?

Yup, that's right. The year-long class will take up a slot in both your autumn and spring term 5. It's worth 300 points and 1 quill per term (600 points, 2 quills overall for the year) so the only consideration is really whether you want to commit to one subject for the year or whether you'd be happier taking 2 different one term classes.

• Like 1