Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Sky Alton

What's YourFavourite HPQuote?

Something that always makes me smile is when people include their favourite Harry Potter quote in their signature or profile. It's particularly fun when it's not one that people often quote because I can go 'oh yeah, that happened!'.

That being said, I'm hard pressed to pick a favourite of my own. Mine are often the funny moments like Lee's quidditch commentary or Harry and Ron discussing Fred's left buttock. I do have one in my HOL profile though that means a great deal to me because I thought of it at a really emotional moment in my own life: 'What appeared to be fine golden chains wove around the pictures linking them together, but after examining them for a minute or so, Harry realised that the chains were actually one word repeated a thousand times in golden ink: friends ... friends ... friends ...'-Deathly Hallows

Do you have a favourite quote or passage? Lots of favourites? I'd love to hear them.

"You're expecting to much of yourself.[•••] For a thirteen - year - old wizard,even an indistinct Patronus is a huge achievement." - Prisoner of Azkaban- Professor Lupin talking to Harry.

I like this quote because it is inspiring.  Harry pushed himself a little bit and through determination and perseverance, he achieved what he wanted to achieve. He could have given up trying to cast a patronus but despite the unpleasant effects the Boggart had on him, he still kept trying. It's also a reminder that any difficult patches we might go through to achieve our goals can make us stronger and sometimes we can exceed other people's expectations of us.

My favorite quote comes from Deathly Hallows. I think we're so used to the scene where Dumbledore tells Snape he has to be the one to kill him being so full of heartbreak and angst, that we seldom remember what Snape's initial response actually was:

Snape raised his eyebrows and his tone was sardonic as he asked, “Are you intending to let him kill you?”

“Certainly not. You must kill me.”
There was a long silence, broken only by an odd clicking noise. Fawkes the phoenix was gnawing a bit of cuttlebone.

“Would you like me to do it now?” asked Snape, his voice heavy with irony. “Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"

Edited by February Fortescue

Mine has to be the line Dumbledore said before awarding Neville some House Points: "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."

It resonates with me with every decision and word I say to my friends, I try to be as true to myself as possible, always supporting my friends but also helping them and telling them the true with total honesty about certain matters as they do with me and that only reassures the strong friendship we have.

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."

This would probably be my favorite quote because not only is it extremely accurate, I think it tells a lot about the way Draco behaved. For years Draco was the bully because he was expected to be. Because of who his family was he was scared to be friends or stand up for the kids who his friends/family didn't like. Throughout his life he never had the bravery to stand up to his friends and family until the the big battle at Hogwarts where he found the courage to finally help Harry when he threw him his wand. 

A quote that has held more significance for me recently has been “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it," said by Albus Dumbledore in Goblet of Fire. This is something I try to remind myself of often because it's very easy to shut out what might be hurting me, feelings and the like, but then when I finally let myself experience that emotion, it hits so hard that it hurts and things go a bit crazy. Therefore, it reminds to not numb the pain and allow myself to feel and experience any emotion when it happens, even if it feels bad.

• Sad 1

I have A LOT

here are a few of them:

"Scared potter?"

"My father will hear about this!" 

"you see what you expect to see" (by snape prob my no.1 quote)

"I solemnly swear im up to no good"

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

"The ones that love us never really leave us" (one that makes me cry by sirius black, id prob rank this no.2)

"I can touch you...." (3rd favo)

• "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
  • "Not my daughter, you (Censored)!"
  • "I am what I am an’ I’m not ashamed"
  • “Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother? Only joking, I am Fred,”

My Most Favorite and Second Most Favorite Harry Potter Quotes in Order Are : -

'...Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times... if one only remembers to turn on the light.'

- Albus Dumbledore.

'It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.’

- Albus Dumbledore.

Hello! I'm Ivy Grey!

When Harry, Ron and Hermione get stuck in Devil's Snare, Hermione's dialogue is my number one favourite!

"Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare... what did Professor Sprout say? -- it likes the dark and the damp---"
"So light a fire!" Harry choked.
"Yes -- of course -- but there's no wood!" Hermione cried, wringing her hands.
"HAVE YOU GONE MAD?" Ron bellowed. "ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?"

Said by Professor Albus Dumbledore, this line is a also a top favourite:
"Second- to Miss Hermione Granger... for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

Sign in to follow this