Gryffindor Common Room

“Ah, music, a magic beyond any we do here….”

So, that means we absolutely have to have some. Let’s pull together a proper playlist for the orchestra of self-playing instruments I’ve managed to hire so they can serenade us with our favourites as we eat.

You can complete this task in three ways (which you do is up to you):

You can tell us what tune you’ll be singing when we all join in on a rousing chorus of the school song and why you’ve chosen that particular one.

You can make up a wizarding band and provide 3 suitably magical sounding songs of theirs that you’d love to hear at the feast.

You can contribute the names of some muggle songs that you’d like to dance along to at the feast and tell us why you’ve chosen those particular ones. (make absolutely sure they're appropriate for all ages)

Whichever option you pick, please make sure your response is at least a couple of sentences in length.

You can do this task twice and earn 5 rubies each time (for a total of 10). The deadline is the 29th of June at 11:59 PM HOL-time.

• Like 1

My muggle songs are:

This is me because we are different to muggles an have often been persecuted,

24k magic (do I really need to explain)

and Gonna be the best day of my life because the end of year feast is a very special day.

You can tell us what tune you’ll be singing when we all join in on a rousing chorus of the school song and why you’ve chosen that particular one.

I'll be using Tambours de Guerre (as played by Zamfir on the Pan Flute) as the tune for the words of our school song.  Why? I was humming it as I opened and read this new Task! For one thing, I really like it. It's sort of calming.  Also, it can serve as an underbase for the melodies that everyone else might use and ... I can reach all the notes.  :D

I love music so much, so if we all sang together I would definitely harmonize to any song we sing (I'm a soprano)

In regards of muggle music, and as discussed yesterday in the chat, it won't be a feast until we hear some Backstreet Boys <3

I love all of the suggestions above. As far as muggle music, I'd have to add something like the Macarena that we can all dance to. Then I'd have to hear Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon because we can all belt the lyrics at the top of our lungs and jump around to it. If there's a karaoke machine available, I'm all in for that too!

I would sing it to the tune of Ride of the Valkyrie. It is an epic tune to end of the year and it can raise morale of the students that might be feeling down when everything is rushing to the end. Plus, it is a classic.

Since am deaf, people think can't listen to music, but not true. I not can hear words in song but can feel the beat. One muggle song that fun to dance too with good beat is Better When I'm Dancing by Meghan Trainor. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

In response to Lorainia's post, and to the others, a not-so-quiet sort of back ground music might be Wipe Out by The Sufaris.

I so much love drums and when I hear this, and feel it, there's a huge boost of adrenaline and sort of gladness. Besides which, it's fun to [attempt to] dance to. But ... those drums.  <3

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
realized that it's more of an attempt to dance to it than actually succeeding? - Tarma

I’d love to hear music from the band Tragic Mick! Particularly their

CauldrON-and-ON” album featuring hit songs such as “Aloof Werewolf,” “Whittling Wands,” and “The Ghost Is Aghast.”

When everyone joins in on a rousing chorus of the school song, I would be singing to the tune of Paul McCartney and The Frog Chorus. It is such a fun and happy tune to end the year with as well as reminding me that, just like the frogs, our hol community is so magical and friendly that we all stand together.    :)

Right now, the tune I'm thinking of is Solfegietto by C.P.E. Bach because I feel its pace might be appropriate for a 'fun' graduation song, even if it's not nearly as pompous as traditional graduation songs.  And it makes at least as much sense as singing the Hogwarts song to a funeral march, right?

I would like to sing to tune of 'Time after time'. This song is by Cindy Lauper and has calm upbeat tune that gets into me every time I listen to it, afterwards I'd hum to it's tune for like hours. I selected the song because it has an amazing tune and a beat that I'd love to sing the school song to, nothing other! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, you've all heard of the Weird Sisters, I assume.  I give to you their lesser-known counterpart, the Bonkers Brothers.  Ezra, Jasper, and Milo are indeed brothers, and their band is known for their eclectic, offbeat music, their style ranging from mellow and introspective to heart-pounding and energetic.  I've chosen them for several reasons.  I, myself, tend to be an eclectic sort, my tastes ranging from the macabre to the utterly saccharine.  Plus I love the range of emotions that their music plays to, because, face it, no one is totally happy or totally sad all of the time.  Especially at graduation, it is a time for introspection, surely, but also a time of excitement, and a touch of sadness.  So, I think this wizarding band would be the total right fit for the occasion. Three of their songs that come to mind are:

The Mad Days of Merlin

Avalon Arises 

The Haunting Goodbye

Edited by Emily Spencer
Spelling error fixed
  • Like 1

The song that immediately came to mind is Dance Monkey by Tones and I. This song has such an unusual beat and is one of my favorite ones to listen to because it gets me all pumped up and excited. The way she sings it - the volume and parts of her voice she uses - is so unique.

Cool Kids by Echosmith would be another great one because its beat changes quickly. At one point it could be a song to jump around to and the next you'd be slow dancing so there would always be a variety of way to interpret the dance. 

Geronimo by Sheppard has to be included. This song has the best beat to it and the constant stomping in the background which would get any crowd excited. It's almost the kind of song you could have a complicated tap dance to. 

I would also like to add some Queen songs (I'm sure Freddy Mercury was a wizzard cuz that voice was not from the muggle world) and some slow dances too!!! those are good <3

I'll contribute two songs that have been sort of my anthems for my time as a HOL gryffy:

Brave by Sarah Bareilles - it has a fantastic message that we could all do with remembering and is catchy enough that everyone will be singing along.

Roar by Katy Perry - I don't really need to explain this one do I? It's just joyful and triumphant and loud. The perfect celebration song to sum up our year of achievements and to motivate us to go out and do the next great thing.

Finally, I'd want Taylor Swift's Shake it Off just so Ivey and I could have a really exuberant and goofy dance-off (and make Dario roll his eyes). All these songs have killer beats and baselines as well so Lo, I expect you to be up and dancing with us.

You can contribute the names of some muggle songs that you’d like to dance along to at the feast and tell us why you’ve chosen those particular ones. (make absolutely sure they're appropriate for all ages)

The Chicken Dance is a silly, silly song that everybody (Well, Muggle at least...) knows and it is quite funny to dance to. Perfect to introduce some lighthearted fun.

Or any Alan Walker songs or his remixes. Great dance/jam songs with little or heart-warming/wrenching lyrics. I am quite particular to Heading Home.

The Muggle songs I am contributing are:

We are the Champions by Queen-in my view, everyone at hol is a champion in thier own way but i think it would be really nice if the winners of the House Cup started the dancing off.

I'm Still Standing, by Elton John-it just seems appropriate at the end of the year, what with the final exams being completed and the Nifflers being on the loose causing chaos, we are all still standing,  :}

Shine by Take That-which is a great reminder that wherever we are, wether staying at Hol or returning to the Muggle world, we can choose to shine by attempting to be the best version of ourselves that we can be and by never giving up on our hopes/dreams no matter how hard the journey may be.

this is a little different, but I think it would be fun to sing the school song as a "round." Something like 

"Row, row, row your boat

gently down the stream

merrily merrily merrily merrily 

life is but a dream."

Maybe to that tune.

The Prefects would lead the first and second years, and they would begin with singing the first line of the school song. When they began the second line, the third and fourth years would begin singing the first line. When the Prefects, first and second years begin singing the third line, and the third and fourth years start on the second, the fifth and sixth years begin with the first. The final group to begin would be the seventh years. The school song is 2 verses of 4 lines each, so it would work, and at the end, the seventh years would have the last line of song,

Centuries by Fall Out Boy ! This song just has to be included in the muggle song list. It has this beat that blows me up for nothing and when the chorus comes up I completely loose my head :).  Also, ME by Taylor Swift to which you can dance off to or just bounce up and down, plus I selected the song 'Broken And Beautiful' by Kelly Clarkson to which you can greatly vibe into. 

My muggle songs are

1.) Roar by Katy Perry ( For my fellow Gryffindors baby!)

2.) Rise by Katy Perry (note I'm not the biggest Katy Perry fan but I love this song) because it's a very inspirational song and it hold a very positive message that even in rough times you can rise above your hard times

3.) Can't touch this by MC Hammer because who can't dance to this song? It just puts you in a good mood, ya know? 

Also when I was reading the previous suggestions and I saw that February Fortescue said something about singing a round to row row row your boat and i thought that was a really good idea and I figured that along with row row row your boat why not throw in Puff the magic dragon in after that... Do I really need to say why?

I like Kenny Loggins and his music always brings a smile to my face.

Footloose is such a fun, "let's relax, let our hair down, and party" kind of song.

Beethoven's Final Movement, more commonly known as Ode to Joy, from his Ninth Symphony, is truly joy in music form. It's bound the lift the spirits of anyone feeling sad about graduation 

Ode to Joy is awesome. I've seen YouTubes of the thing where all the musicians wander into a square and start playing and always, always, the spectators join in and sing! I agree, that would be a great 'tune' with which to sing the Hogwarts school song.

I’d like to chip in for the other rock fans and add in Mötley Crüe’s “Home Sweet Home.” Not only is the music awesome but it’s totally a song that the whole school can belt while half-crying and is a reminder of the loving families awaiting the students and, to those who don’t have as welcoming of families, a reminder to students that coming back to Hogwarts is right around the corner.