Gryffindor Common Room
Sky Alton

Task 1: Decorations

The first item on our check list of feast prep is decoration. Now, as you all know, the walls will be magically decked out in banners that match the colours of the house who has snagged the house cup, so we don’t need to worry about those. What we do need is something to make the tables look bright and festive. How about flowers?

For this task, I’d love you to head out into the grounds and have a look for flowers and greenery that you think would make the Great Hall look extra special. The plants you pick could be in your house colours (or the colours of another house) or they could just be generally decorative. You could also think about looking into the symbolism of different plants and flowers and pick ones with associations and meanings that fit the occasion. They can be muggle or magical (though please, no devil’s snare, mandrakes or venomous tentacula, that would not get the feast off to a promising start…)

You can complete this task by describing the plant(s) you’ve found in a couple of sentences or by submitting a photo or graphic of the plant. In either case, please include a line or two of explanation about why you’ve chosen it. Post your answers as replies to this thread.

You can do this task twice and earn 5 rubies each time (for a total of 10). The deadline is the 29th of June at 11:59 PM HOL-time.

June-2020-End-of-Year-Feast-Task-1-The-M

This photograph shows the rose bush - The Magician, a lightly fragrant, continually blooming, rose. The rose itself has petals which magically change colours as they bloom (to yellow, orange, pink and red). The colours of the petals of this particular bloom are 'gold' brushed lightly with red. The leaves are green and red (and will gradually turn completely green).

IMG-20190221-131748285.jpg

I have chosen to decorate the feast with white roses because apparently during the Victorian Era there was the language of flowers, so each flower type carried a message or secret code. The white rose meant loyalty ( which we get here at hol), and it also carried the message of congratulations. So congratulations to everyone who will be celebrating at the feast.

IMG-20200513-121109626-MP.jpg

I found this shrub called Pyracantha Coccinea which is more better known as Firethorn. It goes through cycles of growing red/ orange berries so if you see them anywhere please do not pick them and eat them as they could make you very poorly! At the moment the berries have gone, leaving behind beautiful little flowers so while it is safe, I thought I would add them to the decor. This shrub grows in abundance so it will cover all of the Great Hall easily.

25509.jpg

This flower is a hyacinth. It comes in different shades of blue and would go together nicely with the nice yellow flowers Emerald and Tarma have already put up! Hyacinths, in ancient Greece, represent constancy and sincerity, reminding students that Hogwarts will always be here to welcome them home. 

protea-flower-1.jpg

This image shows a Protea flower, which represents change, transformation, and courage. I chose this flower because it adds a bit of bling to the Great Hall and stands out against the yellowish backdrop of the Great Hall's walls. It is also a great representation of our own house, Gryffindor, as it both represents courage, a trait we all proudly exhibit, and is our house colour, red. 

Guest Gaelin Ravenscar

Peonies mean victory and success in the Victorian flower language. They come in pink, white, red, coral, purple, mahogany  and yellow so they would look great in any colour around the hall. Since they come in both yellow and red, they would be a great representation of Gryffindor house. 

I chose the gerbera daisy. It's a very cheerful flower and is also gorgeous. It's petals are red and it's center has a ring of yellow around the brown center, which means it has the colors of Gryffindor house, my house.

These are called Gaillardia flowers, specifically the Arizona sun variety. They're described as 'hot mahogany-red flowers, edged bright yellow'. I just think they're bright, happy, very pretty, and perfect colors for Gryffindor!

gaillardia-arizona-sun.jpg

Another good flower would be the cockscomb. It gets it's name from it's appearance that's like a rooster's head (the "cock's comb"). It comes in red and yellow, which are the Gryffindor colors.

I chose bouquet of color flowers. Pink roses, yellow roses, blue Delphinium. I chose these for feast as it is celebration and color flowers look festive. 

Colors-Of-The-Rainbow-Bouquet-PM.jpg

Posted (edited)

51-B88-B74-CB6-D-403-B-9-F6-D-762-D6-AB0

As a representation of my house (both due to the avian common name of this flower and its beautiful blue coloring) I’m choosing to contribute some Commelina Dianthifolia, otherwise known as “Birdbill Dayflower,” to the feast decorations. This shape pictured almost looks to me like it could represent a Ravenclaw Eagle! Love that the green parts of this stem/leaf are mixed up with a lot of rich brown as well, referencing the traditional bronze.

Edited by Sindor Aloyarc

us9jurZ.jpg

I'm contributing purple roses, which usually represent sophistication and royalty. I just know I love them, because purple is one of my favorite colors and these are so beautiful!

Cherry-Blossoms-Arrangement-in-Clear-Vase-rcwilley-image1~800.jpg

This picture shows cherry blossom flowers, one of my favorites! These flowers have such a sweet aroma and their shady pink colour makes these flowers so pretty. Also the colour pink is supposed to symbolize joy and happiness.

Posted (edited)

lilac-PNG25.png

I'll also be making sure we have plenty of lilacs around, as their purplish-blue combination is among my favorite when it comes to colors as well as my favorite smell! I'm a big fan of all kinds of tree blossoms (such as apple blossoms or the cherry blossoms already mentioned!) and I can't imagine celebrating this momentous occasion without these gorgeous, fragrant additions!

Edited by Sindor Aloyarc

U4NQQDx.png

My contribution is a green lady's slipper lily.  It's rather silvery and green, which makes it the perfect choice to represent Slytherin at the Feast.  It is also rather unique, just like all of us here at HOL are.  

vM5Jy2v.png

Seeing as this feast is all about celebrating friendships, I've decided to go with some sunflower decorations.  These flowers are bright, vibrant, and cheery, so they will definitely perk up the room!  Also, they are considered a symbol of longevity and loyalty which are two very important qualities to find in a friendship.

copihues-800x450.jpg

I would like to hang these ones :D these are call the Chilean Bellflower or as I know it "COPIHUE" and they are a national flower in my country, plus they match Gryffindor colors <3 
it is an evergreen climbing plant that reaches over 10 m high so with a spell we can make it grow faster and we won't have to use stairs to set them up. :)

uY0uMaE.jpg

I'm also bringing white Butterfly Orchids, for no other reason than I think they are beautiful and well fitting for a celebration!

qY4ynis.jpg

After a rather long battle in my mind about which alluring flower I should choose from all the others, I'm finally contributing these beauties :D! These are a type of Burgundy Dahlias called 'la recoleta'. Because of their beauty and the colors of these flowers represent Gryffindor I thought about contributing them. 

61oAaKMEnpL._AC_.jpg

Picture shows a section of a bush with long stems covered by multitudes of delicate appearing white blossoms. The leaves (in the background) appear to be a medium green. The whole effect of the blooms is like viewing frothy ocean waves, but on a plant.

An addition to the decorations, in a pure white would be boughs of Oceanspray.  It's got bunches of Latin names .. but some more 'common' names are arrowwood, ironwood and mountain spray. It's simply gorgeous in its delicate blooms and would make a nice background colour and texture that the other blooms and decorations would show off well against.

life-light-elderberry-50-ml-664666-en.jp

My contribution is the Elderberry. It has a calming, white color and it can cover a lot of ground, so it will be easier to decorate with it. It has a wonderful smell and it is a season for it at the moment. Not to mention, you can also make Elderberry syrup, which is just delicious.

Sunflower-Red-Sun-6fe0c74b-993f-48bb-84e

I also pick red sunflower. Red sunflower for strength and positive. Gryffindor  finish term with strength and positivity. 

HERBS-084-350x350.jpg

I present the humble dandelion. Although it is considered a weed by many, I think it is a pretty flower that can be used to decorate the Great Hall nicely. Both its color and its name represent Gryffindor. 

vvnVruS.jpg

As per one of the suggestions in Sky's prompt, I chose something in my own house colours:  a green rose!  I had no idea roses even came in green, but I love the way it blends into ordinary greenery but stands out among other roses.