Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Sky Alton

Your Favourite Type of Homework?

I often get asked to recommend HOL classes and my go-to response is to ask what type of homework the asker actually likes to do. There are so many ways to complete HOL assignments: true/false, fill in the blanks, short answer questions, essays, graphics, puzzles and even watching movies.

I’m a very creative person so a lot of writing in a class doesn’t faze me which definitely isn’t the case for lots of HOLers I know. My favourite type of homework though is opinion questions. I love to be able to sink my teeth into a good argument.

What’s your favourite part of an assignment? (Feel free to include your least favourite too, just no bashing of individual classes, please.)

As I enjoy being creative, I tend to look for opportunites to draw. Sometimes drawing can be time consuming and so I don't choose an arty task unless I feel confident that I will be able to finish it in time for any of the deadlines given.

If I'm not drawing then It's great to challenge myself and my brain with the essay style questions. It's a wonderful opportunity to bury my head in a book and discover new things as well as forming my own ideas and conclusions.

I really like classes with different ways to earn 30-60 points. I like true/false, fill in the blanks, and matching questions, as those are kind of easier and quicker. I also really enjoy doing jigsaw and logic puzzles. Coloring pages can be a lot of fun, though I don't love to do those all the time. I try to pick classes with a mix of puzzles, quick options like fill in the blanks, and creative options such as coloring pages and drawing. 

I like when you can earn more points than those that can be awarded (they make me feel like Hermione Granger because I like to do the entire thing)

I love puzzles and word searches in the assignments and specially those when you have to draw or create an image for it.

I enjoy the ones where you are asked to invent/create/make something up because my creativity flows.

Wish my muggle classes would have been like that back in the days LOL

Despite my love for puzzles, I don't particularly like them in homework. I feel like they don't quite show how well I've grasped a concept and, like many of the other people, I enjoy the more creative projects like the writing and the art better. Though I'm not the best at writing, I usually have a lot to say and so I find the assignments where we're made to create a new spell/potion/ other magical thing the most interesting, followed closely by opinion pieces and art projects. Thankfully, most classes that I'm taking offer puzzles as an alternative option so I get to be the show-off that I am and write long-winded essays and make art instead ^_^

I like writing but I agree with Sky. There's nothing better than having an argument (over opinions and stuff of course) but I also like it when there's extra credit because I feel like I'm doing my part for Gryffindor

Puzzles are definitely my favorite part of any assignment because I've always loved piecing them together. Besides that, I have to agree with you that opinion questions are the best because you're writing how you feel about an issue and not presenting a list of facts in the form of a research essay. I've only had a few classes like this, but I love having the chance to watch a video and then answer questions on it. Fill in the Blanks/Short Answer/True or False are really easy to do, but there's also a big chance you'll mess it up and have points off. When I decide to do one of those options, I always make sure my homework goes over the 60 points so I can make up for them if one's wrong.