Gryffindor Common Room
Sky Alton

Task 9: If I Only had a Niffler

Over  by the fireplace, people are taking a break from the clean-up mission and rehydrating with some butterbeer (the nifflers have gone off with all the shiny bottle tops, we can’t just let it go to waste, after all). Somehow they’ve gotten onto the subject of what mischief they’d get up to if they had a niffler of their own - all perfectly hypothetical I’m sure.

Go join in and take the weight off your feet for a moment.  In 50 words or more, tell us what you’d do if you had the services of a niffler.

You’ll earn 10 rubies by sharing your entirely theoretical trouble-making or get-rich-quick ideas by 11:59 PM on February 29th

If I had a Niffler, I would lose fewer items as I could send the Niffler after any shiny item I had lost.  Also, I could hunt for treasure (but isn’t that what everyone does with theirs?  Also, if I could figure out how to fly with a Niffler in tow, I could improve my Seeking skills:  the Niffler would nudge me to move in the general direction of the Snitch so that I wouldn’t lose any match by “guessing the wrong direction to move in while solving the puzzle”!  

If I had a Niffler I'd make them a real nice (oh look, already it's gone from 'a' Niffler to 'them') basket bed for them to be cozy in. Under the bed I'd have a little drawer shelf that they can open and put in their shiny things. However, I guess that's not using the 'find and grab shiny things' quality that they have, so what would I do about that?

Um, I think I'd mostly ask them to look for pieces of jewelry. Yes, sometimes those little pieces of shiny stuff seem to go walk-about!  I don't know HOW the teddy bear gets them on his ears or why Wabbit has a shiny necklace around her neck. Also, I'd be happy if they were to find and keep all the discarded wrappers which are so very shiny and which swirl around in the air when folks are experimenting with air charms. I'd just hope they put them back into the waste basket from which they blew with that hurricane force! But mostly I think they would be of great entertainment value .....

If I had the services of a niffler, I might have to get them to help me with a little trouble-making.  There a few people that make fun of me often for always losing things, such as my keys. I would have the niffler steal temporarily borrow their keys and other shiny things, so I could maybe laugh at them for a while.  For a service not so mischievous, I would have the nifflers find my own keys  when they get misplaced. 

If I had a niffler, I'd hire them out to find missing jewelry and other shiny objects. They'd be a wonderful sidekick for Magical Law Enforcement with item recovery! They'd likely be effective locating a hidden witch or wizard as well, because we often wear clothes with shiny buttons or belts, and I suspect Invisibility Cloaks are no match for Nifflers! Of course, I'd also reward them handsomely with tin foil and other shiny objects. 

If I had a Niffler, I'd get them to help find buried treasure, since it is likely that it has been there for a while, and it is unclaimed. So, I maybe able to keep the treasure. I would also get the Niffler to find any jewelry or other shiny things that I may have misplaced.

I would never voluntarily have a Niffler, I think they are more trouble than they are worth. But if I did have such a being in my house, I would mostly use it to see if someone sneaked off with any of my things after visiting me. I imagine I would travel a lot in the wizarding world, so many sights to see and I would hate to return home to see most of my stuff missing or my relatives having an auction in front of my house...