Gryffindor Common Room
Sky Alton

Task 3: Point of Entry

While we’re still trying to get hold of someone who speaks fluent niffler, we’re trying to work backwards and at least stop the problem from getting any worse. So we need to work out how our fluffy guests actually gained entry to the school and Gryffindor Tower. We’re still on the search for suspicious looking holes but in the meantime, we’re ready to listen to any and every suggestion you might have.

How do you think they got in? Did they have help? No suggestion is too outlandish or unlikely. Tell us by replying below in 50 words or more. Feel free to build on what other people have said but you must bring original ideas/additions of your own to the table as well.

You’ll earn 10 rubies if you post before 29th February at 11:59 PM HOL-time.

While Nifflers are amazing creatures, fortunately for us they've not quite got the concept of opening doors (and windows) with their paws on a consistently reliable basis. Some seem to have developed this knowingness hanging around wizards (note the one Niffler friend of Newt Scamander) but they don't seem to deliberately teach this to others. They have magical abilities, though, of getting into closed areas, of the specifics we are currently not aware.

That said, it's obvious what one of the methods might have been for them to get into the Gryffindor common room. It's well known that a certain Gryffindor prefect, who has a variety of nicknames, has a certain yearning towards obtaining the sword of another certain Gryffindor prefect. How better to divert attention from the nefarious ideas of obtaining said sword than to allow egress into the Common Room by creatures known to like (if not love) shiny objects? Also, if said sword did happen to go missing, how easy would it be to point to the innocent Nifflers, whilst hiding the sword behind her back?

I believe the nifflers had help getting in. They cannot usually open doors or windows on their own. This leads me to believe that someone had to let them in.  Or Maybe they could have snuck  in a few at a time unnoticed as students come in and out. There are many secret passage ways also, so maybe they sneaked in through one of those. 

I think the nifflers got in through friends in other houses.  But which houses?  Any one of them could be a real possibility.  My first thought when I saw the word "niffler" was one of my friends in Ravenclaw whom I knew from the Quidditch pitch... though for some reason I doubt it's her this time.  There are Hufflepuffs and Slytherins who are interested in shiny things as well and might easily use nifflers to help find them! 

How did the nifflers get in? Great question! I know they like to burrow, but I'm thinking we can rule that out because the Gryffindor Tower isn't located on the ground. Maybe there's a secret tunnel created by a Gryfindor student who loves adventure and sneaking about the castle without being caught, and one of the nifflers, while also wandering the castle, found the tunnel and was drawn into the Common Room after they spotted something shiny?

I think that someone helped the nifflers get in the common room. When the common room is empty, someone opens the door and lays a trail of shiny items along the way. As nifflers love shiny stuff, they will follow the trail, and end up in the common room that way. There are also shiny items scattered throughout the common room so that the nifflers will be busy for a while and not leave. When all the nifflers are inside, the person will sneak outside and close the door, locking the nifflers inside. 

Like several of the posts above, I think those nifflers found a way into the castle but not through doors or windows. I heard from a friend of mine, who happens to be a fellow Gryffindor student, say that her parents had recently visited Hogsmeade and to Honeydukes in particular. Apparently there was a customer there who had just been to a magical creatures pet shop and purchased a family of nifflers just prior to entering the sweet shop. While that customer was busy browsing the Exploding Fudge Selection Boxes, someone accidentally bumped into her. It was so unexpected it caused her to loosen her grip around the box sheltering her new pets. Within seconds, the box was on the floor and all the nifflers were dashing everywhere across the room. Several of the customers were kind enough to try and help retrieve them but only one was actually found and returned to her. To be honest, it would not surprise me if those lost nifflers have somehow managed to find their way into the Honeydukes cellar and down the secret passage way that leads right into the castle.

I think that the Nifflers found their way into the school by secretly following pet Rats around to find out where they nest to take their collection of shiny objects and food. I think they wanted to get inside where there is heat, food, and shiny objects. I think they came to Gryffindor's common room because these particular Nifflers prefer golden objects rather then silver objects.

I think that there is someone (or maybe multiple someones) who forgets to close doors tightly when they come into the castle and/or the common room. A niffler can't open a door independently, but I'd think they could certainly nudge a door open that had been left ajar. Perhaps whoever is guilty of leaving a door or two ajar was wearing some shiny jewelry or had some keys dangling from a robe pocket. There was likely a family of nifflers living in a burrow somewhere on the castle grounds, and at least one of them noticed a student with a dangling shiny object heading into the castle. A niffler's focus is difficult to break when they encounter something shiny, so that niffler family stopped at nothing to follow the shiny object as the student entered the castle. Whatever was keeping that student distracted enough to forget to close the door tightly also left them oblivious to the fact that he or she was being followed by a family of nifflers. 

I think people are giving Nifflers too little credit into sneaking into the Gryffindor Tower and saying they had outside help. Nifflers are wickedly smart and I think they devised a way into the tower themselves. They used shiny things they already possess into making either a rope or a linked rope (what you would do with paper clips) and then had one of the more vertically inclined members of their species climb up the outside of the tower and let itself in through one of the open windows. They then secured the rope and let others in.