Gryffindor Common Room
Sky Alton

Task 3: Design Your Token

When it comes to games that use tokens to mark your progress round the board, I’m sure we’ve all been witness to a squabble about who gets to be a particular colour or shape. Whether it’s trying to avoid being the iron in Monopoly or debating who gets to be green, we all have preferences for what represents us on a given board. So, let’s solve it once and for all: here’s your chance to design your own custom player token that perfectly epitomises you.

You could pick a meeple (a humanoid shape), an object or go for something more abstract. You can either make a graphic or describe your token (in 50 words or more). For both options, please include an additional few lines of explanation as to why you picked it and why you think it represents you.

Post your token below to earn 15 rubies. If you’d rather send it to us privately, that’s fine too. We'll be in touch with 3 cards for you to pick from.

Game-Piece.png

My game piece is a purple treble clef with a black disc on the bottom to keep it steady/flat on the board. Ideally, I'd want it to be 3D/metal so it had a little bit of a shine to it. As many of you know, I am obsessed with purple and am also a flute player as my 'major' hobby. The treble clef represents the key signature that many musicians use to tell them what notes to play when reading music. (I did not draw that myself, Google helped.)

Here is a jar of dirt! 

tarma.png

Iverian cleaned it up from an actual picture in the movie (see my siggy)(thank you Iverian :) ) but here it is 'bigger' and cleaned up for game play!

July-2019-Exploding-Snape-game-piece.png

Graphics description: This is a ... jar of dirt!  It is a lovely game piece as it contains dirt which will keep the person safe in their endeavours. It's basically a glass jar filled with dirt. It has what appears to be a slightly rusted and dented and smashed (but still useful) lid at the top.

This picture is a jar of dirt from Jack Sparrow Costuming - A Pirate's Compendium

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Iverian cleaned up the movie picture! :D

240?cb=20170413061409
My token would be a small figurine of Rakan, featured on the left. He is a champion in Riot Games' popular 5v5 arena game, League Of Legends. I have chosen him as my token because not only do I love his colors of red, orange, and yellow, but also his sort-of tribal-like appearance, and the feathers and bird characteristics he has. He is also my main and most played champion in the game. I should also note that the artwork is not mine, it belongs to Riot Games.

Tjfr5Va.jpg

My token is a purple wooden book. In addition to being an avid reader, to me, games are also great learning opportunities (whether about a particular theme, concept, mechanic or the people around one), which is further symbolised by the book. I chose purple due to it being my favourite colour, as well as it being a less common colour included in boardgame pieces (symbolising my tendency to be less conventional).

il-340x270-1853295804-nuhv.jpg

My game token would be a crystal Tree of Life.  I have always been fascinated with the Tree of Life and it just gained an even larger place in my heart when it became a plot point in one of my favorite video games Uncharted 2.  Plus, one of the most treasured gifts I have ever gotten was a pair of earrings my husband bought me with the tree of life and different colored crystals making up the leaves because I didn't think I paid attention to things that I liked that much lol.   I have also been a big collector and one of the things I collect are rocks and crystals and recently I have been learning and studying about the properties of crystals.  I chose this as my token because it takes my Tree of Life and grounds it into the power of a crystal.  The only thing I would change would be that the purple crystals on the top would all be different colors and it would be perfect!

My token:

af0eb9ba654ae49b7d0748b7eeb06c4353c52263

my token is something like a fusion of a cannon and a gun. I have liked this since my childhood (I am still a child). I like playing games so this token really expresses me.

Edited by Romilda Jones

Since I am horrendous at anything graphic related, I'll just describe my token instead! My token of choice would be a red and white striped guitar pick with a black border perched upon a gold stand, where you can slot in the botton of the guitar pick in. In the centre of the pick would have my initials etched on it to give it a bit of a personalized touch! I choose this token because, mainly, I play the guitar in my spare time, and so it symbolizes the part of me that is musical and showcases something that I love doing. It also reminds me of my days performing in front of many people, practicing with my band almost every day and just having a laugh; and those memories are some of the best ones I have. The colour scheme I picked resembles the iconic Van Halen guitar (called the 'Frankenstrat') and it just looks pretty cool to me! 

My token would be an ornate, serpentine snake in the shape of an S.  It would be primarily silver in color, with stripes of black gold and an emerald to make up the eyes.  Somewhere on the token, down towards the base would be the letters "WL" in green emeralds.  And I imagine it would have to look way better than anything I could design using graphics!

As for the explanation:  the house colors and snake shape represent how much being a Slytherin is a part of my identity.  The precious materials involved reflect my desire for finer things.  And the letters "WL" are my initials!

g5OnN8c.jpg

Probably because my gateway game to board gaming was The Settlers of Catan, I really like wood game pieces. It was always fun to stack the roads, settlements, and cities that weren't in use. My token will be a wooden killer whale, which is my favorite animal. I like killer whales because they are intelligent, majestic, and loyal to their pods. They also have that killer instinct that I'll need to channel to win games. And, of course, my token must be blue!