Gryffindor Common Room
Sky Alton

Acts of Courage

Molly’s defeat of Bellatrix, Neville’s defiance of Voldemort’s entire army, Snape’s work as a double agent, Lilly’s sacrifice and basically most things Harry ever did (saving those moody periods but less said about those the better): they’re all strong candidates for the bravest acts in the books. But as we’ve learned, bravery isn’t always about defeating some great evil or saving the lives of those you love. Bravery is subjective: what might seem a small and quiet act to someone observing may take all the courage in the world.

In your opinion, what is the single bravest act (or sequence of acts) undertaken by a character from the Harry Potter Books? If possible, try to interpret bravery in a broader sense but traditional acts of courage like those above are also acceptable. Explain your pick in 100 words or more.

Post your choices below; you can complete this task up to 4 times and you’ll earn 20 beans for each you submit (25 if you get them in by October 19th). The overall deadline is, as ever, the 31st of October.

I'm going to say that Luna Lovegood was a rather brave character in the Harry Potter series. She stuck up for her father when everyone thought they were crazy and she didn't seem phased when she was a prisoner in Malfoy Manor. She didn't have many friends and yet was never mean to anyone and treated everyone equally while still believing the things that she believed in. Luna was teased by the other students for her crazy beliefs about different things, her father, and her father's newspaper, The Quibbler, but yet try to think of one time when Luna was ever nasty to another student. Think back to when the students would take Luna's things and hide them in places and yet Luna didn't have anything nasty to say about them. I think that this shows a high level of courage just to be nice to people when you have no reason to.

There are several characters in the story with acts of bravery. I will discuss Dobby, the house-elf. Dobby went all out of his way, for the reason to do what is right, and to prevent something that is not right. Will all the right intentions, he made friend of Harry and since then, saved him a lot of times, most especially in the Malfoy Manor incident. His act of disobedience is a biig no for his life as a house-elf, yet he still chose to do the right thing. The magnitude of the act that he's done is a big ripple to the story. Although there were many times that Harry wished for him not to help him due to unfortunate events happening to Harry every time Dobby helped him, he still stayed with him until the end, where he ultimately died for Harry and the bigger cause. He surely did not die in vain and became one of the most loved characters in the story, which he surely deserved.

In addition to those already named, I like Neville Longbottom and admire his courage. I love that he was willing to 'fight' to keep Harry, Ron and Hermione from doing something which, to him, was not right. He was someone looked down upon, by everyone from his family to those of the school; he had no support faction such as what Harry and Ron and Hermione had in each other. 'They' were the popular kids ... etc etc etc. Yet here he was saying 'no' to them. And he kept on, too, and developed his courage to such an extent that he said "No" to Voldemort (AND whacked off Nagini's head too).  

My pick is a bit unorthodox here, but I would like to talk about Narcissa Malfoy. Or really, just one moment in which she displayed courage and bravery that ultimately saved the wizarding world. Of course, she did not do this out of the goodness of her heart, but rather her love of her family.

When Lord Voldemort used the Killing Curse on Harry Potter in the Forbidden Forest, Narcissa was elected (or volunteered, I do not recall) to check if Potter was really dead. She knew Potter was alive, but used the moment to ask what happened with Draco. After Harry confirmed that Draco was alive, she betrayed the Dark Lord by telling him that Potter is dead, which gave the defenders another chance at battle, one they ultimately won. If Narcissa had not done that, then it is very likely that Lord Voldemort and the Dark Side would have won.

So yes, Narcissa was brave in a self-serving way and switched sides to keep her family together, but no one can deny that her act saved the whole war in the end.