Gryffindor Common Room

The Wizarding World is full of heroes: by the end of book 7, we were essentially bumping into them every second sentence. But in the bangs and flashes of great deeds, it’s easier to lose sight of the quieter people who are no less important in their way. The people who kept at a crucial task in spite of everything, the ones who withstood horrors that we didn’t see directly, maybe even just someone who managed to be compassionate even when things were stacked against them.

For this task, I’d like you to nominate your own unsung hero from the Wizarding World. If possible, try to pick someone who misses out on credit a lot of the time; alternatively, you can suggest someone whose name crops up a lot but not for the qualities you think we should celebrate them for. Please write about them and what you think qualifies them for this in 100 words or more.

Post your heroes below: You can complete this task up to 4 times and you’ll earn 20 beans each time you do (25 if you get them in before the 10th of October). The overall deadline is, as ever, 31st October.

I'd like to nominate as a unsung hero Ms. Susan Bones. Susan is a half-blood witch, it is unclear which of her parents is a wizard and which is not. She's sorted in Hufflepuff in the same year as Harry. Most of her family was murdered by Lord Voldemort or the Death Eaters during the First Wizarding War. During her sixth year at Hogwarts her aunt Amelia was also killed and this shocked Susan greatly. Despite all this Susan returned to Hogwarts for her seventh and final year knowing that it was directly controlled by the Carrows and the Second Wizarding War had officially started. As a member of the Dumbledore Army she fought in the Great Hall during the battle of Hogwarts and survived. All this in my eyes is extremely brave and courageous. Imagine the terror within her knowing that she will probably die based on the fact that almost all her family has died in the same way.  

I’m going to first nominate Charity Burbage. She was the muggle studies teacher at Hogwarts while Harry Potter was going. She had taught muggle studies for a while and she believed and taught the students that witches, wizards, and muggles were all equal and they should be allowed to mingle with each other. She believed that muggles should be treated with the same respect that witches and wizards were treated with. Sadly, the Death Eaters captured her and The Dark Lord killed Professor Burbage during the Second Wizarding War during a meeting. She died for what she believed in and I think that that’s something we should all give her credit for and be proud of her for.

I'd like to nominate Perkins, an elderly wizard who worked under Arthur Weasley in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office at the Ministry of Magic. We first heard about him when the Weasleys, Harry and Hermione went to the Quidditch World Cup. It was he who gave them his fabulous tent after his lumbago got so bad he gave up camping! We later find out this is the same tent that Ron, Hermione, and Harry use while searching for Horcruxes! But the main reason he deserves this nomination is because he is the one who found Arthur and Harry and told them about Harry's hearing (for using the Patronus Charm in front of a Muggle) time and location being moved! He was a lifesaver for sure!

I would like to nominate Cho Chang. Cho Chang got a bit of attention in the books, but not that much other than Harry really liking her. Cho attended Hogwarts from 1990-1997. She fell in love with Cedric Diggory and dated him a bit. She attended the Yule Ball with him. Sadly, he was killed by Peter Pettigrew on The Dark Lord's orders. She went through a hard time after that. Later, she dated Harry, but it didn't go so well. I think that Cho Chang is such a strong figure to people who have had deaths of loved ones and disappointments in their lives. Cho picked herself back up after this and ended up marrying a muggle. In her sixth year, she joined the DA and she fought heroically in the Battle of Hogwarts.  

Madam Pomfrey is awesome. In charge of the hospital wing, and also overlooking the healing of individuals (she is the one mentioned so often although, since she is 'in charge' that implies there are others who work there?) she has a matter-of-fact approach to the many and myriad injuries that witches and wizards suffer. And she is apparently very efficient and good at healing folks! It's very seldom that there is mention of her referring any case to St. Mungos. Missing a nose? No problem. All the bones removed from your arm? She knows exactly what to do. Met some dementors? Have some chocolate! 

Something that I really appreciate is that she isn't portrayed as a 'oh you poor person' sort of healer, but someone who is practical and efficient and gets the job done -- instilling confidence in the patient that whatever is the matter with them, it is, literally, something she can handle with no problems.

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
caught! wrong name - had Pince -- sorry Madam Pomfrey (and thank you Sirius) eek

I think Poppy Pomfrey deserves to be in this thread. It takes a lot of patience and love to be a nurse in an institution with thousands of occupants. Sometimes, her work is a given that she is neglected and unappreciated over and over. It was like she was just there that that her being there is nothing to worry about. She showed warmth and kindness but her being strict is sometimes misunderstood. She is brave, too, considering her efforts to help in the Battle of Hogwarts, both in the scenes of battle and treating the wounded. The hospital wing is an important setting in the story so it is befitting to honor those in-charge in it. 

Alrighty, I am know nominating Nymphadora Tonks. She is one of my favorite characters and she went through a lot. Her mother married Ted Tonks who was not a pureblood much to the displeasure of her family. Nymphadora’s aunt is Bellatrix Lestrange and if you think about it that had to have been pretty hard on her. She grew up in a family that was disowned by her mother’s side and yet Nymphadora still has a hugely funny side to her and she didn’t let her family problems get in the way.

I'm adding Irma Pince to this (and thank you Sirius for ... catching the name in the thread above ... :wizard: - I had the 'P' and went on auto-pilot for Pince instead of Pomfrey and failed utterly to proof read)

Irma Pince takes care of the books! Of the Hogwarts library! I think that maintaining a library which is regularly visited by students ranging in age from 11 to 18 and also visited by Professors and everyone else, deserves a bit of mention. I wonder how she keeps the shelving straight? Is there a spell which returns each book to its appointed place at the end of the day?

She wasn't very popular with most of the students, because she would not tolerate them eating chocolate, talking, writing in books or any of those things. She obviously knew a lot about the books of the library, and what was where, but since she was so strict, perhaps few asked her to help them locate a book.

At the same time, there is a strength to her which is clear to those, like Professor McGonagall, when McGonagall asked for Madam Pince and Argus Filch to help in the Battle of Hogwarts.

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

My last hero is Narcissa Malfoy. I now that Narcissa is not a commonly liked character, but without her, Harry Potter would have died at the Battle of Hogwarts and the world would be dark and ruled by The Dark Lord, Delphini, and the Death Eaters. Narcissa wasn't always mean to everyone. She cared for her family and did what she needed to do to keep them alive. She never was a Death Eater although, she attended the meetings when Draco was made a Death Eater to keep him safe. When she was specifically told not to tell anyone what Lord Voldemort wanted Draco to do, she was willing to go against Lord Voldemort's wishes to seek protection for her son. Finally, when she was told to check if Harry Potter was still alive, all she cared about was her son. She asked Harry if Draco was alright and then lied to everyone and told them that Harry Potter was dead. Afterward, she went after her son and then left the Dark Side. So, maybe, she didn't start off as everyone's favorite sister, but she shouldn't be on people's hate list. Narcissa was just following what her older sister, Bellatrix, did when she even put herself in the position of being the husband to a Death Eater and later the mother to a Death Eater. She did what she knew and was familiar with like so many people do.

I would like to mention Luna Lovegood. Sure, she is mentioned a lot, but I do not think people realize just how wonderful of a character she really is. Luna has been through a lot. She lost her mother at a young age and practically has no friends except one or two people. Yet, she does not allowed this to keep her down, but keeps a positive outlook on life and events around her (such as people hiding her stuff).

Luna comforts Harry and other characters when they need it most, giving them emotional support. This becomes important after Sirius Black’s death when she says that death is natural and Harry has not seen the last of his godfather. She also believes Harry immediately, regarding Voldemort’s return and other things as well. Not to mention she fought in basically every battle there was later in the books. Luna is also very attentive and smart (she is a Ravenclaw after all), she recognizes Harry under Polyjuice immediately, knows a lot of things others might not, real or imaginary they might be and is all-around just a great person.

She is basically that one friend that will stay with you for the rest of your life and everybody needs someone like Luna.