Gryffindor Common Room
Sky Alton

Portraits on Parade

As part of a grand Gryfftoberfest tradition, we’ve designed many, many fabulous new outfits for our stalwart and stylish door guardian, The Fat Lady. This year though, she’s told me she’s downsizing her wardrobe. Once I got over my shock (and apologised profusely for the involuntary snorting sound I made), she informed me that this year she’d like to share her limelight with those who aren’t as universally celebrated as she is.

So, we’d love you to introduce us to a portrait we’ve never met before. Maybe they’re down a side passage people rarely go into, maybe they’re in plain sight but just don’t get much attention. Let’s go hear their stories!

For this task, you have two options: you can either make a graphic of your portrait or describe them (in 50 words or more). Once you’ve done that, please allow them to introduce themselves and tell us a bit about the circumstances that lead them to be immortalised on canvas (again in 50 words or more). So, a graphic and 50 words or 100 words. Please keep your graphics to a sensible size, no more than 600x600 pixels.

Post your portraits below! You can complete this task up to 4 times and you’ll earn 20 beans per portrait introduced (25 if you get them in by the 7th of October). The overall deadline is, as ever, the 31st of October.

My good portrait friend Vivian is an aspiring musician. She lives in a secret corridor down the second-floor hallway. The corridor isn't that secret, because most students know about it, but it's not a stretch of hallway that's used very much. Vivian can play any instrument imaginable. She will play for you for hours if you have time. Vivian and I have sort of bonded over music you could say. Sometimes, when I have nothing better to do, I'll go and sit next to her portrait and allow her to play for me while I study in the deserted corridor or knit a bit. When Vivian isn't playing, she's talking, a lot. We carry on conversations that aren’t very meaningful sense she is a portrait and therefore is just a replica of a person. Now, Vivian wants to tell you a bit about herself.

Hello! I’m Vivian, the most wonderful portrait in all of Hogwarts. I think I was placed in this lonely corridor to brighten it up a bit, but most people say that folks couldn’t stand my loud music all day every day. I think it’s rather beautiful loud. 

Vivian was put on canvas after her famous lady, Vivian the second, died in 1603.  Vivian the second was a wonderful musician, the best some said. Before she died, they made a portrait of her so everyone could remember her.

My next portrait that I would like to introduce is unknown to most people. It is a portrait of a boy who plays chess. Literally, he plays chess all the time. He is in the dungeons all the way down the hallway. He’s very nice, but a bit quiet. However, he will challenge you to a game of chess, with you telling him where you want your piece moved to. He’s going to introduce himself a bit:

Hello, umm... my name is Alex. I play chess a lot and it’s my favorite thing to do. I am quite lonely down here and appreciate it when someone takes the time to notice me.

Sorry, he’s a bit shy. However, during a chess game I found out a bit about him. Apparently, Alex was a boy who was a well-known chess player. He was pretty good at it and he won tons of awards. Sadly, he got sick after a big chess tournament and people started to help him to make a portrait of himself. They couldn’t quite finish in time, so his real personality can’t shine through, since it was never taught. 

I’m submitting one portrait a day, so for today I want to tell you of a portrait who is not going to be as liked as the others. I’m not sure why Hogwarts keeps this portrait around, and I’ll tell you why. This portrait is named Andy, or something like that, I’ve never stopped to ask him. He is on the wall next to a rarely used moving staircase. Whenever someone does go past him, he yells insults at them. It can be rather funny at times and, I hate to admit it, but I have tainted him with my friend before. I can’t really have him introduce himself, because he won’t comply, but I will walk past him and tell you what he says. 

“I was sleeping you fool! Why would you walk down here anyway?! Get going!” 

Ya, alright, so he’s not as bad as he usually is. I asked a professor about him and she said he was modeled after a comedian who was known to have a feisty temper. Unfortunately, the comedian decided to teach his portrait his bad side first before teaching it his funny side. He was killed in a duel with a wizard who took offense to his comedy before his portrait learned anything else. A student, thinking it was funny (probably the Weasley twins), found the portrait stashed away somewhere and stuck it there where no one has moved it. 

Igor the Ill is a portrait on the sixth floor corridor. It portrays a young man around his 20's with a handkerchief in hands almost always trying to clear his nose. He mostly lies down on a bed which is portrayed behind him or sits in an old wooden chair at the side of the bed. The scene is not very interesting or fascinating so it goes mostly unseen by the passersby. He's wearing a very thick red jacket and gray woolen flannels. He has no shoes on just a pair of very bright orange socks with a stitched I on the side. Igor doesn't normally talk to people who pass by, he prefers to be alone and he has a very sad expression on his face all the time as though he'd given up. 

Hello, my name is Igor. Igor the Ill is what I've become later. I was born in a small seaside village in Spain. It was very cool down there, the weather used to be so warm and everything seemed to be perfect. You know a happy childhood. 
It was when I was 14 that I discovered that we were actually hiding in that small village. Our family was followed by the Death Eaters before the First Wizarding War because my father used to be an auror who fled Britain at some point in order to keep his family away from all the danger that was around. 

After the Death Eaters managed to localize our house we were forced to move to Russia, not exactly Russia but a very disassociated village in the cold snowy mountains of Russia. From the first day I set foot in that village I was ill, and it never got away. I guess it never will. I'm sad of the fact, yes, but hey I get to be warm and cozy here at least.

My last portrait to introduce is who we all call “book worm.” I’m not sure what her real name is, but her portrait is located in the library. She always has her face buried in a book. Every now and then she’ll look up and quiet someone nearby. Her portrait depicts her sitting in a plush chair with books stacked around her. I asked the librarian about her and she told me that the “book worm” was depicted after the daughter of a noble man centuries ago. His daughter grew ill and he decided to make a portrait of her in her honor so when she wasn’t there any more he would have someone to talk to. Together, they began to teach the portrait everything. Unfortunately, the girl passed away before much could be taught to her portrait. All the “book worm” knows how to do is read, hush people, and she can talk a bit, but not much. I’ll introduce her and let her tell a bit about herself. 

“Hello, I don’t know my name. I was never taught it. I assume I’m around fourteen or so. This book is really very interesting. Please leave and be quiet now, I’m trying to read.”

She’s not much of a talker but at least she introduced herself a bit. Her story is kind of sad. She’s is the back of the library next to a shelf of books. She stays there all day and rarely visits any other portraits.