Gryffindor Common Room
Prof. Zenix James

Which Element to What House

I have no idea what made me think of this, but after this thought came to my mind, I am now obsessed with hearing other people's opinions. 

There are obviously four different houses at Hogwarts: Ravenclaw, Slytherin, Gryffindor and Hufflepuff.

However, if you take a second and think about it...Which element do you think applies to each house? As most of us know, there are 4 to 5 elements, however for this topic, we are going to stick to the main four: Earth, Air, Water, and Fire. 

Spirit was the fifth element I was referring to, but leaving that out. Or we can actually apply it to the lesser known house of Sparklypoo which resides here.

Which element do you think belongs to each house? I want to hear your answers and I want to know why you think that! I have my own opinions and I will voice them after more people have voiced theirs. 

Tell me!

I decided to look up what those characteristics 'say' because when writing up what I wrote, I found that I feel that people in all the Houses are all having all the qualities in them -- but some are more emphasized than others.

I'm using this (below, found here http://www.spiritual-knowledge.net/articles/fire-water-air-earth.php ) as a reference guide. I'm not saying I agree with it completely, but it serves better than most I found online. (I'm also not going to argue one way or another about what is listed in it. Like I said, I'm not saying I agree with it completely but using it as a pointer for this discussion.)

The element of fire --

Positive qualities: vigorousness, zeal, enthusiasm, courage, decisiveness, power of creativity, daring, sedulity...

Negative qualities: quarrelsomeness, irritability, urge to destroy everything, passion, immoderacy, jealousy, voraciousness, vindictiveness, violence, hate, anger, sudden ebullition...

The element of air --

Positive qualities: vigilance, care-freedom, kind-heartedness, trusting nature, clarity, lightness, independency, dexterity, optimism, diligence, acuity, joy, smiling...

Negative qualities: lack of perseverance, dishonesty, gossipy, cunningness, backbiting, garrulousness, inconstancy, touchiness, prodigality...

The element of water --

Positive qualities: understanding, placidity, mildness, trusting nature, devotion, mercy, forgiveness, modesty, compassion, fervour, pliancy, meditativeness, internalization...

Negative qualities: indifference, heartlessness, laziness, indolence, rigidity, lack of daring, lack of concern, unstableness, dejection...

The element of earth --

Positive qualities: consistency, conscientiousness, perseverance, punctuality, caution, resistance, responsibility, carefulness, firmness, reliability, sobriety, ambition, respectfulness, matter-of-factness...

Negative qualities: stuffiness, superficiality, laziness, indifference, cumbersomeness, touchiness, lack of conscientiousness, irregularity, timidity, scornfulness...

So the Houses, in the order of which they have traits -- this is the 'traditional' thing, I think --

Hufflepuff - earth 

Slytherin - water

Ravenclaw - air

Gryffindor - fire

But that is very limiting because there are also aspects of the other elements to consider.

But after that? It's hard to say.  I think most of the people in the Houses are of all qualities. Also something to consider is what aspects of the qualities are they exhibiting?

Also - when I first saw this topic, and just going by the title, I immediately thought -- Hufflepuff is GOLD.

:D

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Tarma's response to this question is absolutely PURE genius

I view Gryffindor as Fire. Why, well, the colors alone are fire. But we are a preserving house. We fight through whatever is thrown at us and we don't care. Fire devours everything. It takes everything in its path. Gryffindors are stubborn and passionate. We never give up. We are brilliant and represent chaos and rebirth, just like fire. 

Earth for Hufflepuffs. They are wholesome and elemental. Wholesome automatically redirects to the earth. The Huffs always seem very grounded. If you study any kind of magical elemental energy, the world around us presents a strong energy and I feel that the Huffs pull from this.

Air...It is difficult, but I feel Ravenclaw represents this element fully. They are fully free and to be fully free you must be able to accept all that is around you which is knowledge. They feel knowledge and thought filtered through themselves. Air in itself it light. Think about it. It's freedom. They exist in the ephemeral, but they also exist in the forever. Plus, we have the Eagle that demonstrates air.

Slytherin is left with water. We have many water snakes, but their proximity to the dungeons helps. But the thing is these water snakes may seem harmless but they are not. They are some of the most poisonous creatures to be discovered.  

I will go with the easiest ones first. I would say that Slytherin would be elemental with water. They slip past their enemies with sly and cunning like a river. The location of their common room is also under the lake, so this also helps my argument. Also, the location of the Chamber of Secrets was in a bathroom of all places...

Next would be Hufflepuff with earth. It helps that their Head of House is the Herbology teacher, but I feel that these are the people who are more grounded than others. They seem to be strong and firm like the earth. The way they welcome all and anyone with open arms, just laid back.

Next is Ravenclaw. I feel the element of air is a good match for this house. With their symbol being that of a raven and their tower being located in the tallest place. Their heads always seem to be in the clouds, searching for new questions and answers. It is like nothing is grounding them  so they are free to fly .. like a bird.

Last is Gryffindor. Only element left is that of fire. Its not hard to see why it could fit this house. Their courage is a like fire that burns enemies, unpredictable. Their tempers (espically that of Lilly and Harry) are well known. They would burn their opponent without a question if they got mad. 

Gryffindor - Fire

Hufflepuff - Earth

Ravenclaw - Water because to me Knowledge flows like currents in a river. Or is unpredictable like waves in an ocean, never knowing when it may hit you.

Slytherin - Air