Gryffindor Common Room
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Hailey Potter

Vacation

I am departing tomorrow for over a week in order to visit Diagon Alley (First time, yaaaay!), Cinderella's Castle, and a French ice cream parlor with a macaron ice cream sandwich that's been screaming my name for weeks now (also my first macaron with my top favorite food in between... pretty excited). I will not be logging onto Gryffindor while I am gone.

Have a good (more than a) week and I will return soon! 

Have fun! We are going in a couple of years (already saving money for the trip). Wish I lived in USA, but going there from the Netherlands is very expensive.

But dont forget to tell me all the must do's when you're back! :)

Tips.... for Disney or Universal? Do lots and lots of research. I spent over a month on Pinterest for Disney and my family made fun of me every time I'd bring up a random fact or tip, but they were very impressed once we got down there and I was prepared for just about anything. We'd been to Universal so often, I didn't have to really do much research for it.

Also.... especially at Disney, don't be afraid to do meet and greets with characters! Total must-do. It's not just for kids. I felt silly at almost 25, but we had bought the photography pack (Basically you get every professional picture taken of you and your party while there... including with characters, on rides, and random areas around the parks.... for a flat fee - but you don't have to get this in order to get the pics with characters - the photographers will take your camera or phone and take some for you!) so I felt like why not and it was really great. The characters are hilarious and fun to interact with - it was my parents' thirtieth wedding anniversary and Goofy had all three of us kids and himself cover our eyes while my parents kissed. It was really funny. And don't turn down a character interaction just because they're not one of your favorites... my most favorite interaction I had was with a Disney princess who I would rank pretty low on my list of favorite Disney princesses (Aurora from Sleeping Beauty) but she was awesome! In our conversation, she informed me that in order to find my Prince Charming I should practice my dancing. I loved her! I didn't necessarily seek specific ones out; if we went by a character and they didn't have a very long line then I would go ahead and meet them.

Thanks Hailey!

Yeah, my Pinterest already filled with Disney World and Universal tips and tricks haha. Just dont quite know how many days we need to visit each, since it is always crowdy?

In Disneyland Paris I always go for the meet and greets too, with my 22 years being the oldest waiting in line. But I don't care. It is way too much fun :p

We did Universal in one day this time because we've been there so much. I would normally suggest 2 days if you hadn't been there normally.... but the Diagon Alley section is HUGE and we could have easily spent a whole day there. There's so much to see and explore! So 2-3 days Universal. Last time we did Disney World in one day and got a park hopper and did all four parks in one day... BAD IDEA! We were MISERABLE! This time, we did 5 days with the park hopper option and that was about perfect! You could do 4 days probably too if you can't stay that long. We basically spent two days at Magic Kingdom, one day at Epcot (while my favorite park... it WEARS YOU OUT. They say it's not the biggest park but it sure feels like it is!), one and a half days at Hollywood Studios (you could do this park in one day... but it rained in the afternoons and the Fantasmic firework show got canceled so we had to come back to see it - it's the best nighttime program on property!), and a half day at Animal Kingdom (I HATE Animal Kingdom. It's hotter than the other parks and they're doing so much construction right now I couldn't get out of there fast enough!). 

There are certain times of the year where the crowds are much smaller. It's not always crowded! You can find charts that help you find a good time on Pinterest. Just search "Walt Disney World Crowds". If you can make it there during those times, that would be great. It's HOT there right now and crowded. I would suggest staying away from summer if your family's schedules allow that! I'm a teacher and my littlest brother is in high school marching band and they keep a ridiculous practicing schedule, so we had no choice but to go in June. 

Yeah, I want to make sure we see everything... So I will be planning long in advance lol.

Thanks for the tips!

Diagon Alley seems sooooo nice! I just can't wait to go there.

This year we will be practising the USA tour in small. 27 of July we are going to Disneyland Paris for 3 days and in December I am going to London to visit the HP studio tour!

Sign in to follow this