Review of #gryffindor IRC rules
Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:16 AM
IRC is one way to get to know your fellow students. You are not required to use IRC to be a member of HOL. As some of you may know we have a house chat room on IRC, it is #gryffindor and can be found on the Blitzed network. This is a great place to come and talk with fellow gryffindors and also to meet people from other houses. If you have never used IRC or don’t know how to get to #gryffindor, I will explain two different ways. The easiest way is using cgi off the blitzed website, but while that is easier overall, it is much better to go and download a program like mIRC which required a little more effort but is much better in the long run.
1. CGI - Getting on to #gryffindor using CGI is the easiest. The best/easiest way is to do this is by going to the HOL homepage here. Once you have done that you will notice on the right hand side of the page under the house cup standings and HOL menu which says "HOL Chatrooms", below that there is a place for a nick and a box for the channel. First you enter the nickname you which to use, and then you replace the channel, which is #hol by default, with #gryffindor. Once you have done that you click on the log in button and wait for it to connect to the server. Once you are connected you can chat using by typing into the text box at the bottom of the screen.
2. mIRC (for PCs) - Accessing IRC in this way makes it easier to chat, but requires a little more effort. Download the program at www.mirc.com, then click on download mIRC on the right of the screen. Choose a download location (it doesn't have to be your/state or country) and click on it. You then save the file and allow it to download. Once the download is complete you open the file and install the program.
Once mIRC has been installed, open the program. If you get a message at the beginning about having to pay for mIRC you just click on the x on the upper right of the small box. mIRC has a 30 day trial period, but you do not have to pay for it after the period is over. You can just keep pressing continue on the message and use mIRC. Once you are registered you will come to an option screen (if you don’t, hit alt+o and it will open, or find it at the top menu by going to File >Connect >Server). There will be text saying "IRC network" and next to it a small box with an arrow on the right side. Click on that box and scroll down until you find Blitzed.
Press "Connect" on the small menu to the left again, and fill in your HOL name and choose a nick. Make sure you have a full name and email address entered below as well as a nickname. You should NOT put your real full name. Once you have done that click on the connect to IRC button and wait for a connection once you have one type /join #gryffindor in the main window that opens up and you will have a secondary window open with our chat room in it.
If you have any questions you can direct them towards one of your friendly prefects. Hope to see you all in #gryffindor, and don’t just come once, keep coming back!
3. SNAK (Mac) - For Mac users you can go to www.snak.com and download a chat client there. It has a 30 trial period, and after using it for 30 days, the program will disconnect every 30 minutes. The program costs $20 USD.
#HOL - This is the main IRC channel for HOL. The easiest way to get on is by using the CGI script on the main HOL page, but if you plan to go on IRC a fair amount it is worth it to download mIRC (for PC’s) or Snak (For Macs)
#Gryffindor - This is the Gryffindor house chat, once you are on IRC all you have to do is type /join #Gryffindor and you will join the channel. Students from all houses are welcome in all house chats.
Other house channels, do the same as above - #Hufflepuff, #Ravenclaw, #Slytherin
We have young members at HOL, so remember to keep chats clean and g-rated - if the conversation is going in a questionable direction, take it someplace other than the official chat channel. We need to make sure we are keeping HOL a safe place for the youngest members.
Where can I find Gryffindor on IRC?
The official channel of Gryffindor house is #Gryffindor on the Blitzed IRC server.
What are the #Gryffindor IRC rules?
The following should be read by all Gryffindors - especially those chosen to be OPs in our official channel, which is #gryffindor on the Blitzed servers.
Being an Operator (or "OP") in our House channels is a special privilege given to those Gryffs who are responsible and willing to follow and enforce the rules of HOL. OPs exist to help keep peace and order in our house channels, and all students are asked to follow their instructions.
Some OPs will be strict; others more lenient. It all depends on the person and how each person interprets the rules of HOL. All students using an official house/HOL channel should respect the chosen Ops, and try to remember that OPs are not trying to be mean, but just trying to do their job. We hope with this document, that we can set a few "consistencies" in the way our OPs work so we can have a fun and safe channel for the students of HOL to enjoy.
1. Gryffindor Prefects & Professors who visit IRC will have AOPS privileges. Please send your registered IRC nick to Missa to be added to the list of AOPS (P2P, PM, or Owl). Make sure and visit the channel every now and again so your AOP will not drop from disuse.
1a. Choosing a Nick on IRC: If you are new to HOL we'd appreciate it if you joined our channel using your HOL name so we can get to know who you are. Also, if you choose a nick that is the same as another HOL regular, chances are that the nick is registered and IRC will automatically change your nick to "Guest". You cannot go by a nick that someone else already has. Please try to pick something different, as it is confusing for our members to figure out if it's "Mary" or Mary v2".
2. Gryffindor Students may also have the opportunity to be AOPS. This is all based on the discretion of the Channel Team. Students who have shown responsibility, dedication, helpfulness, fairness, and discretion will be considered. Students who constantly ask for an AOP will NOT be considered, and may be reprimanded for annoyance.
3. People of other Houses: Professors, Prefects, and Students of other houses are *HONORED GUESTS* in our Channels. They do not receive Ops. We are happy to have them visit, and welcome them with open arms, but the channel is *OUR* home and we shall have control over it at all times. If the Guests are being bothersome and break the rules, they may be kicked and/or banned from visiting our channel, depending on the severity of the infraction. The title of "Honorary" in Gryff terms means "We don't necessarily like you; we just want to keep a closer eye on you." *G* There are a few exceptions.
4. If an OP is the only OP in the channel and must leave for a time, that OP may choose another Gryffindor who is present, who they feel is responsible, to become a temporary OP. Please do not leave the channel without making someone else an OP if there will be none left. Hopefully, we will have enough OPs to have regular ones at all times.
5. Please be on the "lookout" for inappropriate links being shared in channels. Try to encourage that all links be shared via P2P so that young ones don't inadvertently click on something they shouldn't. This also means that all links that are not posted by an OP need to be approved by an OP before being posted (just like in #hol).
6. An OP shall remember that HOL is a very diverse community with many different people of all ages and walks of life. People will have differing opinions and viewpoints on what is right/wrong. In no way will we tolerate any "hate" type talk (I'm sure you all know what I mean - saying "I hate homework" is very different than talking about people or a group of people in that way.) or racial comments. Please remember that HOL channels official language *is* English (that means keep the conversation ENGLISH), and try to be helpful of those who have a problem understanding English. Remember that Patience and Tolerance is the key here. We don't want to be too strict, but we don't want people to be able to swear, curse, or make others feel uncomfortable. This can be a fine line to tread, so please use your best judgment. Remember, we can have very young people in the channels, with protective parents - please do not jeopardize their membership at HOL by allowing inappropriate conversation to continue. Let's have fun, but make sure it's good fun for all present.
Abuse of Channel OP powers will result in suspension of OP powers; 1st infraction will be a warning and/or 1 week suspension (depending on severity of abuse); 2nd infraction will be one month; 3rd infraction - until further notice.
Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:27 AM
Missa, our wonderful HoH, has an intense dislike for the word c-u-t-e. (Please don't kill me for using it, Missa, I'm only educating the masses! ) This means that she has set it up to where, if you use the c-word in #gryffindor and she is on, (or any other #gryffindor related channel that Missa has ops in [but not #hol]) you will be auto kicked by her with the message "death to the c-word." Same goes for any other word that has the c-word in it, such as perseCUTE or exeCUTE!
Now, if you don't have your IRC client set for "auto-join" you'll have to join #gryffindor again (/join #gryffindor) if you get kicked for saying it. It's nothing really serious, you're not in any trouble or anything. And you'll come to find it hilarious when someone gets kicked. Not only is it incredibly amusing, but we've even had some gryffindors in the past who think it's so funny they purposefully say the word to get kicked.
We had a newbie get kicked today and thought it might be best if this was posted somewhere so our new first years will know about this little humorous #gryffindor quirk.
Prefect in Charge|HOL 101|Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print|Lions' Pride
Dario's Extraordinary Half
(Thanks to Efie for the amazing avatar and siggie!)
Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:54 AM
Yes people. I hate that word. Various reasons, etc, etc. And, it's the one quirk I can actually enforce in gryff channels.
So...get used to it. Extend your vocabulary and find other words that have the same meaning to use. It'll improve your knowledge and spare my eyes. Win, win.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users